Advisor/English Language Arts Specialist 2020-21
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School (KLS) is a non-profit, mastery-based school founded by Salman Khan in 2014 to extend Khan Academy’s student-centered philosophy into a physical school environment. Furthering his vision for Khan Academy, Khan wrote and published The One World Schoolhouse, in which he argues for mastery-based, blended, and mixed-age learning coupled with a departure from traditional letter grades. Today the KLS community is bringing that vision to life on its own campus and also sharing knowledge within education more broadly.
In each academic area at KLS, progress is decoupled from age; the time it takes a student to finish a course will vary but the depth of mastery is constant. We believe that students cannot “master” a course by performing well on one assessment. Instead, students are expected to demonstrate mastery of all skills and content before they can obtain foundational credit, thereby reducing the number of “gaps” in their education.
Every student is assigned to a mixed-age cohort, which they can expect to be part of for two to three years. There are currently six cohorts for students ages 5 to 18+. Students also partner with faculty to explore their passions and deepen their learning. The quality of learning remains high but as a lab school, instructional methods are constantly being reimagined and tested. Learning is supported through weekly 1-1 advising, real-world application, and a culture that fosters student agency. Faculty and students do not simply adhere to the status quo in education. As a lab school, KLS is a model for innovation in education.
ADVISOR/ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS SPECIALIST (LOWER SCHOOL)
The Advisor/ELA Specialist teaches a mixed-age group of students and oversees the academic, social, physical, and emotional well-being of the students. The Advisor/ELA Specialist’s primary responsibilities are to mentor students, personalize each student's education, provide English Language arts and integrated Social Studies instruction as part of a team covering grades K-5th, and lead collaborative and interdisciplinary project-based learning.
The Advisor/ELA specialist is also responsible for:
- Curating a world-class elementary level learning experience using best practices, based on experience and research
- Teaching lessons in reading, writing, and language development, social studies, social-emotional learning, and work habits in an interactive learning environment
- Creating and implementing interdisciplinary and academically rigorous curriculum for a mixed-age classroom
- Designing and leading experiential, project-based learning activities
- Advising each student once a week to set, monitor, and evaluate progress on goals (ex: mentoring, reflection, feedback, goal setting)
- Building a positive, safe, inclusive, and fun classroom community
- Communicating consistently with parents about students’ goals and progress to involve families in the students’ education
- Participating in teacher team meetings, school events, admission events, and exhibitions/presentations
The ideal candidates should possess many of the following qualifications:
- Have at least 5+ years experience teaching elementary school
- Possess a bachelor’s degree, a master’s degree in education, or equivalent
- Able to engage students in rigorous content and well-planned, well-paced lessons in English Language Arts and integrated Social-Studies
- Prior experience with developing project-based learning activities and integrating educational technology
- Prior experience analyzing student data
- Prior experience leading or participating in curriculum development
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results and incorporating social-emotional learning into student experiences
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- A clear understanding of child development
- A sense of humor and warmth, and love working with children and their families, connecting easily with students, teachers, and parents
- Creative in instructional and classroom management strategies
- Openness to feedback and continuous growth in a positive way
- Entrepreneurial mindset and service orientation
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to respond quickly to time sensitive requests
- Work ethic to actively participate in helping build a new school and commitment to continuous improvement
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Coaching and tutoring experience
- Youth leadership experience
- A portfolio of project-based learning and applied learning lessons across multiple domains in the humanities and sciences
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free lunch, coffee, and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount of 50%
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that Khan Lab School is generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship at this time.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.