Upper School Computer Science Instructor (part-time) 2019-20
Computer Science Instructor (part-time)
Khan Lab School seeks a part-time Upper School computer science instructor for our Upper School with a middle school background to teach 6th-8th grade computer science. This is a great opportunity for an educator that would like to join a new school that uses a mastery-based approach. Candidates should ideally hold a bachelor of science degree in computer science or have an equivalent background. Prior teaching experience in a formal or informal environment is desired. An interest in developing challenging and interdisciplinary computer science projects is a high priority. The schedule is flexible but must be consistent throughout the year once determined.
Additionally, the successful candidate will take an entrepreneurial approach to making appropriate use of all of the school’s resources, both on and off campus, and will identify nearby opportunities that will enhance the student experience such as university labs or private companies. This is a part-time year-round position based in Mountain View, CA which begins Summer 2019. Candidates must be familiar with Khan Academy, Sal Khan’s book The One World Schoolhouse, and should be excited about working in a startup school.
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
Our school currently serves 165 students ages 5-17. In keeping with The One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of advisors, content specialists, and teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Roles and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include teaching middle school history, advising a small group of students, and serving as a member of a faculty team. Candidates should have interest in teaching highly motivated students in a school that values not only intellectual pursuits but also building strong relationships and community. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator who is comfortable using a variety of pedagogical strategies and enjoys working creatively and collaboratively to develop and plan curricula. Successful candidates must have a proven record of engaging students in class discussions, inspiring a love of learning. and a willingness to try to teaching models.
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for school education.
- Curate world-class middle-high school level computer science learning experiences using best practices, based on experience and research.
- Write year end progress reports.
- Collect and reflect on student data; adjust and advise instruction accordingly.
- Collaborate with outside program providers as needed
- Communicate consistently and frequently with students and their parents and supervisor about students’ goals and progress, take in feedback and address any questions or concerns directly, positively and in a timely manner.
- Embed competencies in projects (e.g. cognitive skills and character strengths, global citizenship, creation, purpose and deeper learning competencies).
- Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant.
- Organize and prepare resources, field trips, guest speakers connected to the students’ learning as it compliments the class.
- Participate in the parent-teacher meeting process.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidates should possess many of the following qualifications:
- Five+ years of industry or similar experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree, or PhD in CS or a STEM subject.
- Prior experience with Khan Academy.
- The ability to challenge and inspire students.
- Prior experience with developing project-based learning activities.
- Experience working in blended learning environments.
- Strong interpersonal skills with high energy and sense of humor.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and willingness to actively contribute to continuous improvement of the school.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and the ability to respond quickly to time sensitive requests.
- Intuitively creative and collaborative.
- Flexibility. Ability to multitask, provide immediate assistance, and prioritize.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Work collaboratively and independently with little direct supervision.
- Ability to model and foster a culture of respect and learning.
WHAT WE OFFER
Khan Lab School is a team of educators that have a deep commitment to their work. We get things done and believe that in our highly collaborative environment that anything is possible. All of our decisions are made through the lens of what is best for our students. We tackle tough questions without ego, are results oriented, and have high expectations for school and our students.
Khan Lab School offers a stimulating and unique working environment with a competitive salary. We seek team members who possess a unique skill set since this is a multi-faceted teaching position. To learn more about our vision & learning design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Free lunch and snacks
Start Date: August 2019
Location: Mountain View, CA
Number of Positions to be Filled: 1
To qualify, please provide a resume/CV demonstrating the required experience and skills and a letter of interest. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated familiarity with the Sal Khan’s school model outlined in his book The One World Schoolhouse. From there, we require the completion of pre-interview work assignment – a thoughtful response to which will require investing 1-2 hours of preparation time. We find both the willingness to invest this time, coupled with the insights we derive from the answers, help us find the truly capable and passionate candidates. Qualified applicants who pass this review will be phone screened and finalists will conduct interviews with our team.
Khan Lab School is an EOE and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practice.