WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. We are a community of learners supporting every student to navigate their own path. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society recognizes, and we create and assess learning experiences to share with the world.
Our school currently serves almost 174 students ages 5-18+; our first graduating class will be in 2021. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of educators who support students in the development of the knowledge, skills, and dispositions that promote lifelong success. Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
The Associate Teacher teaches a mixed-age group of students and assists with a range of activities around the academic, social, physical, and emotional well-being of the students.
We have found that professional educators who are adept as serving as learners, demonstrating skills of observation and inquiry, and who love to teach, collaborate, guide, and mentor children as they learn and play, are well suited for teaching at Khan Lab School. Associate Teachers are regularly expected to exercise discretion and independent judgement in the performance of their teaching duties. This position reports to the Head of Lower School and includes partnering with a teaching team and wider school community in support of the school’s mission and vision.
The Associate Teacher is also responsible for:
- Supporting teachers with assessment, preparation of class materials, and classroom management
- Providing academic support and structure to students during independent work time
- Supervising & ensuring safety of students, including before and after school, during lunch and transition times, and on field trips
- Supporting individual students through one-on-one tutoring or small group instruction; promoting academic success & character development
- Filling in other school positions, such as substituting for teachers as needed
- Collaborating with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for school education
- Building a positive, safe, inclusive, and fun classroom community
- Collaborating and communicating with other teachers and the Head of Lower School in the development of curriculum
- Participating in teacher team meetings, school events, admission events, and exhibitions/presentations
The Extended Day Supervisor is responsible for:
- Planning, coordinating and organizing Extended Day events
- Supervising and ensuring safety of students during Extended Day activities
- Engaging in other tasks as needed
The ideal candidates should possess many of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education (or equivalent qualifications)
- Experience working with elementary school age children
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social-emotional capabilities
- Creativity in instructional and classroom management strategies
- Prior experience with developing project-based learning activities and integrating educational technology
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Flexibility and initiative to try new things. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, and we are assessing every aspect of KLS.
- A sense of humor and warmth, and love working with children and their families, connecting easily with students, teachers, and parents
- Openness to feedback and continuous growth in a positive way
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Attention to detail and the ability to respond quickly to time sensitive requests
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset and service orientation
- Work ethic to actively participate in helping build a new school and commitment to continuous improvement
WHAT WE OFFER
Khan Lab School is a team of educators that have a deep commitment to their work. We get things done and believe that in our highly collaborative environment that anything is possible. All of our decisions are made through the lens of what is best for our students. We tackle tough questions without ego, are results oriented, and have high expectations for school and our students.
Khan Lab School offers a stimulating and unique working environment with a competitive salary. We seek team members who possess a unique skill set since this is a multi-faceted teaching position. To learn more about our vision & learning design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Health, dental, and vision benefits
401(k) with matching
Free lunch and snacks
Khan Lab School tuition discount
Start Date: January 2020
Location: Mountain View, CA
Number of Positions to be Filled: 1
To qualify, please provide a resume/CV demonstrating the required experience and skills and a letter of interest. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated familiarity with Sal Khan’s school model outlined in his book The One World Schoolhouse. From there, we require the completion of pre-interview work assignment – a thoughtful response to which will require investing 1-2 hours of preparation time. We find both the willingness to invest this time, coupled with the insights we derive from the answers, help us find the truly capable and passionate candidates. Qualified applicants who pass this review will be phone screened and finalists will conduct interviews with our team.
Khan Lab School is an EOE and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practice.