WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society recognizes, and we create and assess learning experiences to share with the world.
Our school currently serves almost 165 students ages 5-16+; our first graduating class will be in 2021. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of educators who support students in the development of the knowledge, skills, and dispositions that promote lifelong success. Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
ADVISOR/ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS SPECIALIST (LOWER SCHOOL)
The Advisor/ELA Specialist teaches a mixed-age group of students and oversees the academic, social, physical, and emotional well-being of the students. The Advisor/ELA Specialist’s primary responsibilities are to mentor students, personalize each student's education, provide English Language arts instruction as part of a team covering grades 2nd-6th, and lead collaborative and interdisciplinary project-based learning.
The Advisor/ELA specialist is also responsible for:
- Curating a world-class elementary level learning experience using best practices, based on experience and research
- Teaching lessons in reading, writing, and language development, social-emotional learning, and work habits in an interactive learning environment
- Creating and implementing interdisciplinary and academically rigorous curriculum for a mixed-age classroom
- Designing and leading experiential, project-based learning activities
- Advising each student one-on-one (1:1) once a week to set, monitor, and evaluate progress on goals (ex: mentoring, reflection, feedback, goal setting)
- Building a positive, safe, inclusive, and fun classroom community
- Communicating consistently with parents about students’ goals and progress to involve families in the students’ education
- Participating in teacher team meetings, school events, admission events, and exhibitions/presentations
The ideal candidates should possess many of the following qualifications:
- Have at least 5+ years experience teaching elementary school
- Possess a bachelor’s degree, a master’s degree in education, or equivalent
- Able to engage students in rigorous content and well-planned, well-paced lessons in ELA
- Prior experience with developing project-based learning activities and integrating educational technology
- Prior experience analyzing student data
- Prior experience leading or participating in curriculum development
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results and incorporating social-emotional learning into student experiences
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- A clear understanding of child development
- A sense of humor and warmth, and love working with children and their families, connecting easily with students, teachers, and parents
- Creative in instructional and classroom management strategies
- Entrepreneurial mindset and service orientation
- Flexibility and initiative to try new things. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, and we are assessing every aspect of KLS.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Attention to detail and the ability to respond quickly to time sensitive requests
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Work ethic to actively participate in helping build a new school and commitment to continuous improvement
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Coaching and tutoring experience
- Youth leadership experience
- A portfolio of project-based learning and applied learning lessons across multiple domains in the humanities and sciences
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free lunch, coffee, and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount of 50%
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that Khan Lab School is generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship at this time.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.