Middle-Upper School Math Specialist 2019-20
Khan Lab School seeks a math specialist who has experience in Math 6, Pre-Algebra and Algebra I. Candidates should hold a master’s degree in Mathematics or a related field. Prior teaching experience in a high school environment is desirable but not required. Individuals with a deep knowledge of mathematics from non-traditional teaching/learning environments who bring a keen interest in working collaboratively with students, teachers and members of the Khan Academy team are encouraged to apply.
Additionally, the successful candidate will take an entrepreneurial approach to making appropriate use of all of the school’s resources and will create opportunities that will enhance the student experience The candidate must be familiar with and enthusiastic about using Khan Academy to its fullest potential. This position is based in Mountain View, CA and ideally begins July 2019. Candidates must be familiar with Khan Academy and be excited about working in a startup school environment.
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School is an independent school with ties to Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
Our school currently serves 180 students ages 5-17. In keeping with The One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Students are assessed on a mastery scale and don’t receive letter grades. We also recognize that agency and relationships are a key component to learning success. Our academic experience is coordinated by a team of advisor-content specialists. who guide students through gradually increasing levels of knowledge.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our relationship with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
To support our growing program, Khan Lab School seeks a talented educator who possess a thorough knowledge of blended learning environments and understands the vision and goal of our model. This person will also be responsible for advising of a cohort of upper school students, all of whom are working at their own pace.
Roles and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include teaching mathematics and advising a small group of students. Candidates should have an interest in teaching highly motivated students in a school that values not only intellectual pursuits but also building strong relationships and community. Successful candidates will be interested in engaging students in class discussions, inspiring a love of learning and willing to try new teaching models. Additionally, candidates should be system-level thinkers that are constantly asking how they can improve and streamline the way learning is done at the school.
- Commit to building a community of practice of student-centered educators by making regular contributions to be shared publicly, including curriculum, best practices, and research findings.
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for school education.
- Curate world-class middle-high school level learning experiences using best practices, based on experience and research.
- Working one-on-one, provide personalized support to their assigned advisory group; identify and plan for expected learning outcomes.
- Collect and reflect on student data; adjust and advise instruction accordingly.
- Communicate consistently and frequently with students and their parents and supervisor about students’ goals and progress, take in feedback and address any questions or concerns directly, positively and in a timely manner.
- Lead and design experiential, project-based learning activities for the class by using global resources to create an experience that’s relevant and real-world for a mixed-age setting.
- Design assessments for learning congruent with instructional and personalized learning goals using the backwards design model, in collaboration with specialists.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidate should possess many of the following qualifications:
- Five+ years of experience teaching Mathematics in a high school or non-traditional environment.
- Master’s Degree in mathematics
- A fit with and understanding of the school’s philosophy.
- The ability to challenge and inspire students.
- Prior experience with developing project-based learning activities.
- Experience working in blended learning environments.
- Prior experience leading or participating in curriculum development.
- Strong interpersonal skills with high energy and sense of humor.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and willingness to actively contribute to continuous improvement of the school.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Intuitively creative and collaborative.
- Ability to multitask, provide immediate assistance, and prioritize.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
WHAT WE OFFER
Khan Lab School is a team of educators that have a deep commitment to their work. We get things done and believe that in our highly collaborative environment that anything is possible. All of our decisions are made through the lens of what is best for our students. We tackle tough questions without ego, are results oriented, and have high expectations for school and our students.
Khan Lab School offers a stimulating and unique working environment with a competitive salary. We seek team members who possess a unique skill set since this is a multi-faceted teaching position. To learn more about our vision & learning design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Health, dental, and vision benefits
401(k) with matching
Free lunch and snacks
Khan Lab School tuition discount
Start Date: Flexible. July 7, 2019 or Fall 2019.
Location: Mountain View, CA
Employment: Full-time or Part-time
To qualify, please provide a resume/CV demonstrating the required experience and skills and a letter of interest. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated familiarity with The One World Schoolhouse. From there, we require the completion of pre-interview questionnaire– a thoughtful response to which will require investing 20 minutes of preparation time. We find both the willingness to invest this time, coupled with the insights we derive from the answers, help us find the truly capable and passionate candidates. Qualified applicants will be phone screened and finalists will conduct interviews with our team.
Khan Lab School is an EOE and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practice