OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (RECEPTIONIST)
ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world.
Our school currently serves 165 students ages 5-16+. In keeping with Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of advisors, educators, and teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- This is a part-time position with a workload of about 25 hours per week, daily from 10-3pm and will be filled as soon as possible.
- The primary goal is to effectively and efficiently manage the lobby and greeting area of the school and other building tenants while maintaining professional standards.
- Interacts with administrative employees, teaching staff, students, customers, and outside services/vendors as smoothly as possible.
- Manages student attendance and guides visitors during check-in process.
- Receives mail, fax, and email, answers phones, orders supplies, handles maintenance procedures, and manages the efforts of other employees.
- Performs clerical duties such as data entry, inventory, and other paperwork.
- Supports Business Manager/Executive Assistant in a great variety of areas, including fundraising.
- Maintains databases, files, and records necessary for the preparation, monitoring and review of the budget and audit.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs a broad range of services, such as catering, supply & reorder, memberships & subscriptions, as well as room schedule & management.
- Manages first aid supplies
- Takes care of minor injuries and sickness in students and communicates with parents about possible remedies and mid-day pick-ups
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE POSSESSES MANY OF THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- An associate’s degree in business or secretarial science (two-year program)
- 3+ full years of experience in administrative positions and/or customer-facing roles
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and advanced Excel skills require, as well as Google Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English fluency)
- High level of professionalism, confidentiality, and exemplary interpersonal skills
- Extremely organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to pinpoint problems and find creative solutions
- High level of initiative with strong sense of urgency and flexibility
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and dynamic environment
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Passion for connecting and influencing people to drive towards a shared business goal
VERY NICE TO HAVE
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in a multicultural school or work environment
- Nursing experience with children and teenagers
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Free lunch, snacks, and coffee
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that Khan Lab School is generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship at this time.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.