Lead Advisor, Level 1 (Kindergarten/1st Grade)
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society recognizes, and we create and assess learning experiences to share with the world.
Our school currently serves 165 students ages 5-16+; our first graduating class will be in 2021. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of educators who support students in the development of the knowledge, skills, and dispositions that promote lifelong success. Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
The Level 1 Lead Advisor teaches a mixed-age group of students generally between the ages of 5-7 years old and oversees the academic, social, physical, and emotional well-being of the students.
In addition to outstanding teaching ability, the position requires expertise with the social and emotional needs of this age group and the ability to balance the encouragement of intellectual and character growth with the importance of play. We have found that professional educators who are adept as serving as learners, demonstrating skills of observation and inquiry, and who love to teach, collaborate, guide, coach, and mentor children as they learn and play, are well suited for teaching at Khan Lab School. This position reports to the Head of Lower School and includes partnering with a teaching team and wider school community in support of the school’s mission and vision.
The Lead Advisor is also responsible for:
- Curating a world-class early elementary learning experience using developmentally appropriate best practices and research
- Teach lessons in social-emotional learning, reading, math, writing, science, and social studies in an interactive learning environment
- Designing and leading experiential, project-based learning activities
- Co-constructing academic, work habits, and social-emotional learning goals with students
- Instructing students in executive functions (work habits) to develop skills of autonomy and responsibility
- Building a positive, safe, inclusive, and fun classroom community
- Collaborating and communicating with other teachers and the Head of Lower School in the development of curriculum
- Communicating consistently with parents about students’ goals and progress to involve families in the students’ education
- Participating in teacher team meetings, school events, admission events, and exhibitions/presentations
The ideal candidates should possess many of the following qualifications:
- 5+ years experience working with primary school-age children (preferably kindergarten and first grade)
- A Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education (or equivalent qualifications)
- Flexibility and initiative to try new things. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, and we are assessing every aspect of KLS.
- A clear understanding of child development and elementary education
- A sense of humor and warmth, and love working with children and their families, connecting easily with students, teachers, and parents
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results incorporating social-emotional learning into student experiences
- Able to engage students in rigorous content and well-planned, well-paced lessons in early literacy and math
- Creative in instructional and classroom management strategies
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Open to feedback and continuous growth in a positive way
- Prior experience analyzing student data
- Prior experience with developing project-based learning activities and integrating educational technology
- Prior experience leading or participating in curriculum development
- Attention to detail and the ability to respond quickly to time sensitive requests
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset and service orientation
- Work ethic to actively participate in helping build a new school and commitment to continuous improvement
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free lunch, coffee, and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount
Please be aware that Khan Lab School is generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship at this time.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.