2019-20 Middle School History Educator
Middle School History Educator
Khan Lab School seeks an educator with a middle school background to teach 6th-8th grade history. This is a great opportunity for an educator that would like to join a new school that uses an interdisciplinary approach. Candidates should ideally hold a bachelor of science degree in history or a related field. Prior teaching experience is required, a curriculum development background is a plus, and the ability to bring other student-centered contributions to the community is desirable. Candidates must be familiar with Khan Academy, Sal Khan’s book The One World Schoolhouse, and should be excited about working in a startup school. This is a year-round position based in Mountain View, CA, which begins summer 2019.
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world.
Our school currently serves 165 students ages 5-16+. In keeping with Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of advisors, educators, and teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
To support our growing program, Khan Lab School seeks a talented educator who possess a thorough knowledge of blended learning environments and understands the vision and goal of our model. This person will be responsible for overall advising of a cohort of middle school students, all of whom are working at their own pace. Candidates should be able to integrate topics from ancient civilizations through modern world history, as well as US history, and geography into a three year program.
Roles and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include teaching middle school history, advising a small group of students, and serving as a member of our faculty team. Candidates should have an interest in teaching highly motivated students in a school that values not only intellectual pursuits but also building strong relationships and community. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator who is comfortable using a variety of pedagogical strategies and enjoys working creatively and collaboratively to develop and plan curricula. Successful candidates must have a proven record of engaging students in class discussions, inspiring a love of learning, and a willingness to try new teaching models.
- Commit to building a community of practice of student-centered educators by making regular contributions to be shared publicly, including curriculum, best practices, and research findings.
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for school education.
- Curate world-class middle school level learning experiences using best practices, based on experience and research.
- Working one-on-one, provide personalized support to an assigned advisory group..
- Meet each student at least once a week to set, monitor, and evaluate progress on goals (e.g. tutoring, mentoring, reflection, feedback, goal setting).
- Collect and reflect on student data; adjust and advise instruction accordingly.
- Communicate consistently and frequently with students and their parents and supervisor about students’ goals and progress, take in feedback and address any questions or concerns directly, positively and in a timely manner.
- Support students in collaboration with their teachers in developing a strong foundational knowledge in core skills (reading, writing, math, foreign language and digital literacy).
- Lead and design experiential, project-based learning activities for the class by using global resources to create an experience that’s relevant and real-world for a mixed-age setting.
- Design assessments for learning congruent with instructional and personalized learning goals using the backwards design model, in collaboration with specialists.
- Embed competencies in projects (e.g., cognitive skills and character strengths, global citizenship, creation, purpose and deeper learning competencies).
- Determine students’ academic and social emotional learning objectives and ensure that they’re met.
- Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant.
- Organize and prepare resources, field trips, guest speakers connected to the students’ learning.
- Write progress reports, attend open houses, orientation trips, and other school related events.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidates should possess many of the following qualifications:
- Five+ years of experience teaching history in a middle school or working with students in an informal learning environment.
- Additional experience teaching English a plus.
- Master’s Degree (preferred) or a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Prior experience with developing project-based learning activities.
- Experience working in blended learning environments.
- Prior experience leading or participating in curriculum development.
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results incorporating social emotional learning into student experiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills with high energy and sense of humor.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and willingness to actively contribute to continuous improvement of the school.
- Flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and the ability to respond quickly to time sensitive requests.
- Intuitively creative and collaborative.
- Ability to multitask, provide immediate assistance, and prioritize.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Work collaboratively and independently with little direct supervision.
Chaperone overnight field trips and attend other school-wide events.
- Ability to model and foster a culture of respect and learning.
WHAT WE OFFER
Khan Lab School is a team of educators that have a deep commitment to their work. We get things done and believe that in our highly collaborative environment that anything is possible. All of our decisions are made through the lens of what is best for our students. We tackle tough questions without ego, are results oriented, and have high expectations for school, our students, and ourselves.
Khan Lab School offers a stimulating and unique working environment with a competitive salary. We seek team members who possess a unique skill set since this is a multi-faceted teaching position. To learn more about our vision & learning design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Health, dental, and vision benefits
401(k) with matching
Free lunch and snacks
Khan Lab School tuition discount
Start Date: July 8, 2019
Location: Mountain View, CA
Number of Positions to be Filled: 1
To qualify, please provide a resume/CV demonstrating the required experience and skills and a letter of interest. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated familiarity with the Sal Khan’s school model outlined in his book The One World Schoolhouse. From there, we require the completion of pre-interview work assignment – a thoughtful response to which will require investing 1-2 hours of preparation time. We find both the willingness to invest this time, coupled with the insights we derive from the answers, help us find the truly capable and passionate candidates. Qualified applicants who pass this review will be phone screened and finalists will conduct interviews with our team.
Khan Lab School is an EOE and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practice.