Head of College Counseling and Internships
ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is a coed, independent school associated with Khan Academy that currently serves 165 students aged 5-16+ in Mountain View, CA. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program that includes a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
The Head of College Counseling and Internships is a full-time position that is a member of the Administrative Team and reports to the Head of School. The school is seeking a creative thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit who can help shape KLS’s college counseling and internship/community engagement programs. KLS’s first graduating class will be in 2021.
The Head of College Counseling and Internships will have a strong commitment to independent school life and experience as a school-based college counselor or college admissions officer. S/he can expect a fast paced, dynamic work environment and involvement in all aspects of school life including chaperoning, information nights for families, academic advising, and attending open houses.
The ideal candidate will possess or demonstrate the following: a growth mindset, self-motivation, positive energy, strong interpersonal skills, a service-oriented and team approach to work, approachability, openness to new and divergent ideas, excellent oral and written communication skills, and a commitment to equity and inclusion.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Developing and leading an effective, multi-year college counseling process that will guide students, parents, and advisors through the college admissions process with the ultimate goal being an appropriate placement
- Engaging each student in a customized process of self-assessment and exploration
- Writing counselor letters and advising faculty in their writing of college recommendations
- Executing communications and on-campus programs and workshops for parents, students and college admissions representatives
- Managing Upper School student internship and community engagement opportunities
- Coordinating dual enrollment with local community colleges
- Assisting in keeping accurate permanent records of students’ testing and academic work
- Leading the design of our mastery transcript and representing KLS in the Mastery Transcript Consortium.
- Overseeing standardized testing planning such as SAT and ACT, helping to administer PSAT exams and serving as AP Coordinator if needed
- Working with the Head of Communications in creating and maintaining college counseling pages on the KLS website
- Visiting college campuses to establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with college
- Providing scholarship & financial aid information to families
- Preparing and presenting to the Board of Trustees regular reports on the college admission process,
matriculation, and national trends
- Engaging actively in the KLS community, including attending student performances, athletics events, social activities, and serving as an academic advisor
The successful candidate will possess:
- A detail-oriented approach to communication (including writing and presenting), proven leadership experience, and deep relationships in the college admission community
- The ability to work collaboratively with administration, faculty, and other key members of the KLS community
- The energy, patience, and sense of humor necessary to work effectively with high-school students and their families
- Proficiency in MS Office and Naviance, and the ability to learn additional software
- Extensive experience in selective college admissions and/or college counseling
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree preferred
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Health, dental, and vision benefits
401(k) with matching
Free lunch, coffee, and snacks
Khan Lab School tuition discount
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.