(Middle and Upper School, students between 11 and 16 years of age)
ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
We currently serve 166 students ages 5-16+ in Mountain View, California. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
To learn more about our Vision & Learning Design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org
SPANISH INTERN (Middle and Upper School, students between 11 and 16 years of age)
This is an unpaid internship with opportunities for professional development in education, project management, mentorship, and cross-team collaboration. The Spanish Intern reports to Head of Middle and Upper School and Spanish Content Specialist.
- Work closely with students in seminar, small group, and one-on-one class settings to observe how to help develop skill mastery and deep understanding
- Collaborate with Content Specialist to diagnose student strengths and weaknesses and plan corresponding interventions
- Research and present ideas to build supplements that help students view unit themes in various contexts (interdisciplinary, cross-cultural/temporal, multimedia, etc…)
- Assist in collecting student work and feedback for portfolios
- Be a role-model leader whenever present in common learning spaces, including informal coaching and tutoring, positively redirecting students who are disruptive or off-task, and upholding KLS culture and policies.
- Support Spanish Specialist for grading, lesson preparation, project preparation
- Prepare grading rubrics
- Follow-up with/teacher/ students about classwork submissions due
oral and written assignments
- Learn how to design a project-based curriculum that includes self-paced learning and serves the needs of a wide range of age and ability levels
- Work directly with middle and high school students to gain experience as an educator, mentor, and coach.
- Develop a concrete pedagogy for an experimental, innovative framework
- Receive mentorship in best practices in unit conceptualization, lesson design, and student feedback
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE…
- Is passionate about working with middle and high school students in a mixed-age setting
- Is Fluent in Spanish
- Has experience with working in Google Classroom and/or Middlebury interactive
- Is a self-starter who thrives in start-up environments that are often ambiguous and dynamic.
- Is available to be at KLS at least 2 days/week for a total of about 6-8 hours/week.
NICE TO HAVE
- Teaching experience
- Native Speaker
- This is an unpaid internship with a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- We provide free snacks, drinks and lunch (for days working on-site during lunch time).
- The ideal candidate will be able to commit at least 6 hours each week to the internship, with preference given to those who can commit to coming to campus at least one day each week.
- The schedule is dependent upon the intern’s prior commitments but must be planned in advance with approval from the Spanish Content Specialist and Head of Middle and Upper School.
- The length of the internship depends on your availability, but should last a minimum of 3 months.
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.