(Grades 6-12, IL5 to IL7)
Do you enjoy working with high school students and their families and have a record of successful teaching in blended learning environment? Are you a current or aspiring high school teacher, community college faculty member, recent Teach for America participant, or graduate student ready to take on a dynamic role in a startup school? If so, Khan Lab School would like to hear from you. As an integral member of our upper school team, you will work with Sal Khan to support our students and and enhance our math program. This is a full-time or part-time year-round position based in Mountain View, CA.
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy that currently serves 165 students ages 5-16. Our purpose is to develop new, student-centered personalized teaching and learning best practices. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
To support our growing program, Khan Lab School seeks a talented math educator who possess a thorough knowledge of blended learning environments and understands the vision and goal of our model. This person will assist Sal Khan and the KLS team in designing and implementing math, science and engineering experiences that leverage Khan Academy.
The responsibilities of the Fellow will vary based on the fellow’s skills and professional goals.
These responsibilities may include:
- Facilitating student use of blending learning tools, especially Khan Academy.
- Running small seminars and group tutoring in math and science.
- Creating projects, labs, demonstrations, assessments, and other curricular content aligned with the school’s vision.
- Using qualitative and quantitative data to assist with tracking student progress.
We are interested in both part-time and full-time applicants.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
Skills and Capabilities
- Preference will be given to candidates who are actively pursuing a degree or who have attained degrees related to mathematics, biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, or other STEM-related field.
- Teaching or student teaching experience working with students in a school, summer camp, science museum, tutoring or after school program desirable.
- Experience with Khan Academy
- Exceptional math, science, and technology skills are essential.
- Communication and organizational skills.
- A plus but not required are: PBL experience, prior teaching experience in a high school, community college, or college environment
- Passion for improving the education system.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with high energy and sense of humor.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and learning new things
WHAT WE BRING
Khan Lab School is a team of educators that have a deep commitment to their work. We get things done and believe that in our highly collaborative environment that anything is possible. All of our decisions are made through the lens of what is best for our students. We tackle tough questions without ego, are results oriented, and have high expectations for school and our students.
Khan Lab School offers a stimulating and unique working environment with a competitive salary. We seek team members who possess a unique skill set since this is a multi-faceted teaching position. To learn more about our vision & learning design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
Start Date: Open until Filled
Location: Mountain View, CA
HOW TO APPLY
To qualify, please provide a resume/CV demonstrating the required experience and skills and a letter of interest. From there, we require the completion of pre-interview work assignment – a thoughtful response to which will require investing 1-2 hours of preparation time. We find both the willingness to invest this time, coupled with the insights we derive from the answers, help us find the truly capable and passionate candidates. Qualified applicants who pass this review will be phone screened and finalists will conduct interviews with our team.
Part-time and full-time positions available.
OTHER SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that Khan Lab School is generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship at this time.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.