Head of Lower School
Reports to: Head of School
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt
Position Begins: July 8, 2019 (or earlier)
ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is a coed, independent school associated with Khan Academy that currently serves 165 students aged 5-15+ in Mountain View, CA. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program that includes a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
To find out more about us, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
Your main role:
- Being a part of an amazing team that is building the blueprints of a mastery-based model of education that puts students at the center
- Providing clear vision, supervisory management, and strategic direction for all aspects of the Lower School program
- Representing the Lower School at all events as the chief communicator and leader of the division
- Providing a clear, warm, and dynamic presence for students, faculty, staff, families, and the larger community
Please review the complete job description here.
CREDENTIALS AND EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or higher in the field of Education or School Leadership (or comparable experience) is highly preferred
- Five or more years as a primary school classroom teacher using innovative teaching approaches and meeting the highest academic standards
- Experience as an instructional coach for early childhood and elementary educators
- Experience leading curriculum design and alignment with deep knowledge of current theories and practice of pedagogy and assessment
- Demonstrated cultural competency and interest in diversity, equity, and inclusion work in schools
- Knowledge of current, research-based best practices for working with children and teachers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative and entrepreneurial mindset and commitment to continuous improvement
- Extremely organized, with meticulous attention to detail
- Strong listening, analytical, problem-solving, decision-making and planning skills
- Positive outlook
- High level of professionalism and exemplary interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and dynamic environment
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, and as a lab school we continuously monitor and assess our program.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
NICE TO HAVES
- Experience in a senior administrative position
- Experience managing expectations of very demanding stakeholders
- Experience teaching Elementary or early Middle School math
- Strong background in technology integration
- Experience working with a wide range of learning needs, and with practitioners who serve those needs
- Experience formulating and implementing accreditation and strategic plans for school improvement
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free lunch, coffee, and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount
OTHER SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that Khan Lab School is generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship at this time.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.