Khan Academy is looking for top-notch iOS and Android developers to help create mobile versions of our free virtual classroom for the world. Our small team is changing the face of education - join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but elite team, deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
Our developers tackle world-changing challenges that have never been solved before. Recent examples include:
- Building innovative new ways to teach computer science (http://ejohn.org/blog/introducing-khan-cs/)
- Designing a machine learning model to optimize a student’s learning path (http://david-hu.com/2011/11/02/how-khan-academy-is-using-machine-learning-to-assess-student-mastery.html)
- Running A/B tests to increase learning and affect real lives (not just increase page views)
- Reimagining ways for students to learn together online
- Scaling all the infrastructure needed to handle millions of users
We believe mobile apps play an important role in the future of education, and we want you to deliver this vision.
- We're not religious about using a specific technology. We're religious about providing an incredible experience for Khan Academy learners
YOU DON'T NEED
Lisp expertise. Actually, we don't require experience in any particular technology, but you should have an impressive collection of cool projects. We’re confident that you’ll be able to learn whatever languages and frameworks we throw at you (or, more likely, you throw at us).
- 5+ years of experience
- A passion for software and engaging learning experiences, as well as desire to change the world
- An ability to chew through difficult software problems. You probably noticed this ability not long after you first sat down in front of a computer. You leave a trail of successful software projects in your wake
- Great intuition for how users like to learn. You have the motivation and courage to tackle any new subject you put your mind to, and not let go until you've mastered it
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
- Sal’s TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html
- Lead developer Ben Kamens’ blog: http://bjk5.com
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
- Sal’s Interview with BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04hytg6
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.