Do you want to empower a team of experienced mission-driven software engineers who are transforming education? Khan Academy is on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
As an engineering manager at Khan Academy, you’ll embrace the role of enabling others. You’ll communicate and delegate, taking care to make sure everybody on your team understands where we’re going next and why. You are a respected technical thinker, but know that you shouldn’t be making all the decisions. You protect creativity, get out of the way of good ideas, and step in when necessary to help align visions. Most of all, you’ll exude a ridiculous amount of care for your team’s success and well-being. You’ll have the opportunity to mentor and develop a deeply motivated, diverse, and growing team.
You’ll have led a team of software engineers in a similar way, preferably for over a year. Previously you’ll have also spent several years or more developing software on a team with other engineers, preferably using modern web technologies.
- A desire to change the world
- Passion for helping other people succeed
- A technical background and history of creating successful teams and products
- A track record of leading teams in delivering products using effective product development processes that you can teach and lead
- Strong communication skills, especially written — a history of blogging or essay-writing or such is wonderful
- To command technical respect — you can dive into technical discussions and deeply understand them while appreciating that you’re not the authority
- To have the ability to dive in and write code — but to instead want to focus on enabling others to do so
- To enjoy the challenge and reward of giving feedback to coworkers
- Understanding of the nuances of engineering management, via experience and learning from public leaders
- At least 5 years managing teams of software engineers (as a people manager, i.e., hiring, writing formal performance reviews, etc.) AND at least 5 years professional software engineering experience (writing code every day as part of a team)
- Ability to organize, motivate, and drive a talented, creative, and technical team
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Authorization to work in the US
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant – we treat new hires more like co-founders
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume below
- In the space provided below, please briefly describe your philosophy of engineering management and one lesson you’ve learned about working with talented technical folks.
- In the space provided below, address the following prompt. At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Our engineering principles
- Our career development guide for engineers
- KA Engineering blog
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.