Are you passionate about software quality? Do you think like an analyst, care passionately about getting it right the first time, and view coding with the eyes of a high-energy perfectionist? – join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
At Khan Academy, we've reinventing QA. For us, the difference between making good software and making great software is our Software Quality Engineers. This isn’t your normal QA role, we pride ourselves on true continuous deployment and automation, as such you’ll be joining the Quality team and expected to be deep in development. This role will include test planning, extensive test development, test automation and test execution in support of project goals in collaboration with others in the Quality team.
In addition, you’ll be working closely with product and support teams so you're able to advocate for the best possible experience for our users. Someone with a strong combination of automation, test development at all levels (frontend/backend, white/black box) and communication will excel in this role.
We’re fun, quirky people that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes people from Google, Apple, Facebook, Mozilla, Microsoft, Linkedin, Pixar, Fog Creek as well as tiny startups. Khan Academy attracts talent from some of the top organizations in the Bay Area; our team includes individuals who attended private universities and community colleges, as well as folks who didn't graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but strong team, deeply invested in your future.
- Embed within a single product team to own test development and execution while balancing engineering priorities with user needs
- Use creativity & deep field knowledge to find, document, and track bugs
- Communicate with stakeholders so the most crucial user-facing issues are prioritized
- Extend e2e test suite using Selenium, Appium, XCTest and in-house developed frameworks.
- Build new test automation where it is lacking
- Embrace, champion, and extend an ethos of quality software development through an organization measured with shipping beats perfection
- 5+ years of relevant experience, including software product development, practical experience in automation tools (e.g. Selenium)
- 5+ years of hands-on, demonstrable experience testing mobile (iOS & Android) applications using mobile test automation tools (e.g. Appium)
- Experience developing code and working in a UNIX/Linux environment and using virtual machines or containers.
- Familiar with software development tools, Eclipse, Intellij , GIT source control.
- Strong understanding of all software testing methodologies, architectures and tools.
- Comfortable to develop tests in any language consistent with engineering team.
- Can integrate testing into an automated CI/CD pipeline e.g. Jenkins
- Good documentation and communication skills so that you can coordinate with current testing efforts to grow and improve our testing processes
- An unencumbered glee and exceptional proclivity for breaking things
- A passion for software and engaging learning experiences, as well as desire to change the world
- An ability to work across the team, including educators, designers, engineers, product managers, to improve our product quality and reliability
- A great intuition for how users like to learn and obstacles that could stand in their way. You have the motivation and courage to tackle any new subject you put your mind to, and not let go until you've mastered it
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field; or equivalent experience.
We offer the following benefits:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our team well!
- The opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses.
- Ample paid time off as needed. We’ll support you in maintaining a healthy life-work balance.
- Delicious catered lunch every day, plus tons of snacks and beverages.
- An inclusive, excited, and friendly team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant.
- A great location – we’re only 0.5 miles from the Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We also pay for remote employees to fly out a few times a year, and our San Francisco dwellers are encouraged to work from home a few days a week to save the commute time.
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights.
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life.
As an organization and as individuals, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, medical conditions, genetic information, disability, or Veteran status. We strongly encourage all candidates to complete the EEOC questions below so that we can continue to monitor our processes and ensure we are creating an environment that allows candidates to feel comfortable and display their best selves across many lines of difference.