Khan Academy is looking for a Principal/Lead who is passionate about great design and making a deeply positive impact on the world. Today, over 12 million learners, teachers, and parents around the world use Khan Academy each month. But we believe this is just the tip of the iceberg in bringing to life our mission to make a free, world-class education available for anyone, anywhere.
Our team at Khan Academy includes industry leaders from companies such as Apple, Google, Facebook, tiny startups, games, and education, including people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. We’re deeply invested in your future: we have high expectations of you, and consider deeply how to support you to achieve them.
In this role, you’ll lead the marketing design for one of the most diverse design teams in tech, partnering closely with the marketing team to craft end-to-end experiences across multiple marketing touchpoints. You will combine marketing savvy with phenomenal design skills to produce compelling experiences for our learners (so that we can reach 100+ million learners per month!). You are equally passionate about the craft of persuasion as you are the craft of design. You’re passionate about this massive opportunity to forge the way that millions of people worldwide perceive learning and teaching.
As a good candidate, you will have a great portfolio with a string of successful projects in your wake. You’ll have proven skills in the following disciplines:
- Design & brand strategy
- Graphic & visual design
- Information architecture
- Design systems thinking
- Web & mobile marketing design
Ideally, you’ve also got experience in:
- Marketing copy
- Interaction design
- Information design
- Storytelling and narrative
Experience teaching or a deeper understanding of the education or learning space is a huge bonus.
We expect our designers to have solid technical chops. You should have a set of tools you love to use that enable you to rapidly prototype and launch to production. You’re able to show us how you've used them in the past to make great experiences, and you can walk us through your design reasoning. You can demonstrate that you work well with your peers and partners, such as Marketing and PM, throughout your career – because we’re dedicated to both great quality design and great quality collaboration.
We currently have one open position that could be filled by either a Principal/Lead Designer or a Senior Designer. If you have under 10 years of experience, please apply for the Senior Designer role here. Otherwise, please apply below.
- 10+ years experience
- The combination of business savvy and design excellence to create delightful, persuasive experiences
- Strong design strategy, married with mindset of rapid prototyping and innovation
- Either strong curiosity or knowledge about education and learning
- Introspection, humility, maturity, excellent communication skills, strong systematic problem-solving ability, and a drive for continuous learning
- A desire to make the world a better place
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
Khan Academy may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed
- A fun, high-caliber team that believes in the importance of having a great day-to-day experience
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- Walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View, flexibility to work from other locations
- The opportunity to work on projects that are already impacting the future of learning
- The ability to improve real lives and put your talents toward a deeply meaningful mission
- The possibility of helping empower more problem solvers to improve the world
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume below
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.