Khan Academy is looking for a marketing analytics guru to join our team. We’re a small team with big dreams, and we’re only just getting started. Today, over 10 million learners, teachers, and parents around the world use Khan Academy each month. But we believe this is just the tip of the iceberg in bringing to life our mission to make a free, world-class education available for anyone, anywhere.
In service to that mission, we are building out our marketing capabilities to grow awareness and reach learners all over the world. Not surprisingly we need answers to questions such as “what channels should we invest in?”, “how much should we spend, given the fact our product is free?”, and “what user attributes are associated with a higher-value learner, and how do we find them?”. You would be instrumental in partnering closely with the marketing leader in answering these questions (and so many more), to drive decisions that are key to the overall marketing strategy.
We’re looking for a team player who gets excited about tough business problems but isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and get deep into the data. This is the perfect role for someone who wants to continue to grow their technical data skills as well as the strategic thinking and communication skills required to drive meaningful impact through data. While we internally call our team members Marketing Analysts or Product Analysts, we find that there is significant overlap with what is commonly called 'data science'. As a result, many of our team members have a background in data science, whether formally or informally.'
Be a thought partner to impact strategy:
- Partner closely with the marketing leader and others on the marketing team to identify key KPI’s necessary for successful execution and measurement of the marketing strategy (i.e., what does ROI look like for a product that’s free?)
- Contribute to the design of well-designed hypotheses and experimentation, and report results on key campaigns and optimization experiments
- Tee up recommendations based on data and insights to senior leader stakeholders
Continually improve our data infrastructure:
- Introduce the instrumentation to be able to measure and monitor marketing KPI’s, for both paid and organic channels, online and offline; develop methodology for cross-channel attribution
- Construct and refine analysis of the learner and teacher lifecycles, from acquisition to usage to retention
- Build and publish access to the tools and data the marketing team needs, so that every decision they make is backed up with solid data and analysis
Help instill a ‘data driven’/’data informed’ culture:
- Be the voice of data within the organization
- Find creative and insightful ways to publish and promote how we’re performing on key metrics
- Ensure there is strong analytics input into the evaluation and prioritization of new opportunities
- Help set the goals and define the evaluation methodology for each initiative
- A passion for Khan Academy’s vision and a desire to change the world
- 5+ years experience in data science or analytics (or related role), supporting a marketing function
- Experience working with third party marketing vendors and ingesting/triangulating imperfect data from a variety of sources
- Ability to think strategically (interfacing with senior leaders), while also enjoying being hands-on with the data
- Capable of writing efficient code in at least one programming language
- Advanced SQL skills
- Experience across the entire analytics chain: instrumentation, logging, data modeling, ETL, BI tools and dashboards, various analysis and modeling techniques, etc.
- Strong statistical foundations
- A knack for asking the right questions, then answering them with sound data and analysis
- Ability to dive deep into the data weeds, and then synthesize data into strategic business insights
We currently have one open position that could be filled by either a Marketing Analyst or a Senior Marketing Analyst. If you have 6+ years of experience in analytics, please apply for that role located here.