Khan Academy’s mission is to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Our #1 core value here at Khan Academy is to focus on the learner, and anything we do for teachers, parents, or administrations should be through the lens of what it does for learners. We strive to develop great content and products that have a measurable impact on improving the educational and learning experiences for millions of people around the world. As Director of Efficacy & Research, you’ll be responsible for defining, measuring, and holding ourselves accountable for tracking learning gains we help make possible. You have a passion for education, and you know what it takes to (1) develop studies to prove impact and to improve efficacy while (2) developing tooling and processes to continually improve our efficacy. You will report directly into the VP of Content which is a team of 20+ people and growing, located primarily in Mountain View, CA, with several remote team members around the US. You will be contributing at both hands-on and strategic levels, and partnering with the cross-functional leadership team to ensure we improve our efficacy and our content & products over time through iteration, experimentation, A/B testing, research, and data insights.
The Director of Efficacy & Research is broadly responsible for defining our rigorous research methods – both in-house and independently conducted, both in the US and globally over time – that will show solid evidence that our content and products are helping to enhance and further academic achievement of learners and teachers across core academic subjects and across grades (early childhood, K-12, AP, early college), as well as in test prep, initially through our SAT and LSAT partnerships. In ten years, Khan Academy’s vision is to globally enable every preK-14 core subject to be either learned in conjunction with teachers and their physical classroom or independently, and the Director of Efficacy & Research is an integral part of helping to achieve that mission by providing substantive, verifiable studies proving the effectiveness and efficacy of our content and products. As Director of Efficacy & Research, you will:
- Serve as a key member of the Content and Product Leadership Team, helping to define the overall vision and direction of the organization that enables KA to grow and deliver impact to learners and teachers around the world
- Establish capabilities and processes to continuously build a compelling evidence base of impact research that demonstrates our total impact on students’ educational outcomes, typically measured by attributing test score improvement to usage on Khan Academy
- Ensure that studies are designed and conducted in a way that yields insights that allow us to measurably improve our content, product design and pedagogical practices
- Partner closely with our Product team to develop tooling and processes to research, analyze, and continuously improve the efficacy of our content, curricula, pedagogy, and overall product offerings
- Be the key liaison and point of contact for all of Khan Academy’s research related partnerships - this could include schools participating in a pilot program, third party research organizations, technology/program partners, or major funders
- Support our Founder/CEO and Chief Academic Officer, Salman Khan, by helping to interface with the broader academic / research community, where valuable and necessary
- 10+ years of professional experience, including successfully leading, researching, or proving efficacy of content and product.
- A strong desire to learn our existing content and work cross-functionally with our product team and our chief academic officer to research, prove, iterate, and improve our content and products
- A strong interest in working with education leaders and teachers - in particular, how research is produced, consumed and perceived by key decision makers (eg, school administrators, teachers, policy makers, philanthropists, research groups / consultancies, etc.)
- A clear and systematic approach to prioritizing research studies, content and product-related challenges
- Ability to motivate and inspire a talented cross-functional creative team
- Flexibility to problem solve creatively in a still-young digital education medium
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and help the team get work done as we are growing
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume below
- In the space provided below, address the following prompt. At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.