Product designers! Come join Khan Academy and put your passion and skill for great design toward a deeply meaningful purpose. Join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
The team at Khan Academy comes from a wide variety of backgrounds. It includes industry leaders from companies such as Apple, Google, Facebook, tiny startups, games, and education – we actively foster a cross-disciplinary environment because we believe that’s where the magic happens. The design team is a small, diverse group of people; each member has a lot of impact and makes huge contributions across the board. We’re deeply invested in your future: we have high expectations of you, and consider deeply how to best support you to achieve them.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
We currently have two open principal/lead product design roles:
- As part of the Teachers and Students team, you’ll focus on making Khan Academy an indispensable teaching tool for teachers and an engaging learning experience for students.
- As part of the Learning Platform team, you’ll focus on creating the foundational and reusable pieces of product that Khan Academy teams use to reach our audiences.
- As part of the Content Platform team, you’ll focus on designing the tools we use to create, translate, and manage the content we deliver to students and teachers around the world.
You’ll be actively involved in defining strategy and working through product problems from definition to shipping and iterating.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As a strong candidate, you will have a great portfolio with a string of successful projects in your wake. You have a passion for mentoring other designers as well as doing fantastic design work yourself. You enjoy making sure design projects go smoothly and are able to represent design to stakeholders. You’re able to show us successful past projects, explain your systematic design reasoning, and show how you used your skills – design, leadership, communication, interpersonal and more – along the way. You can demonstrate that you’re invested in working well with your peers and other disciplines, such as engineering and PM, throughout your career – because we’re dedicated to both great quality design and great quality collaboration.
THE SKILLS YOU’LL NEED
- 5+ years designing digital apps and systems. You have experience shipping products and collaborating with a cross-functional product team.
- Strong interaction design and information architecture skills. Experience designing clear flows and interactions informed and validated by research and data.
- Experience working with or creating comprehensive design systems.
- Can work across the design process, from problem definition to high fidelity design.
- A passion for designing engaging learning experiences, as well as a desire to make the world a better place.
- Introspection, humility, maturity, excellent communication skills, and strong systematic problem-solving ability.
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed
- A fun, high-caliber team that believes in the importance of having a great day-to-day experience
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- Walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View, flexibility to work from other locations
- The opportunity to work on software and programs that are already impacting the future of learning
- The ability to improve real lives and put your talents toward a deeply meaningful mission
- The possibility of helping empower more problem solvers to improve the world
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume below and provide a link to your design portfolio
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.