(Homeroom Teacher, Middle School, Independence Level 5)
ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School is an independent school associated with Khan Academy. Our purpose is to develop new, personalized practices that center around the student. We believe that young people are capable of far more than society currently recognizes, and we create and test learning experiences to share with the world. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in our school are outlined in Sal Khan’s book, The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
We currently serve 95 students ages 5-14 in Mountain View, California. In keeping with Sal Khan’s One World Schoolhouse philosophy, we provide an extended-year, extended-day, mixed-age program with a project-based learning approach. Recognizing that ownership and relationship are the keys to success in learning, our academic experience is coordinated by a team of Advisors, Content Specialists, and Associate Teachers who guide students through gradually increasing levels of independence.
Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student. Thanks to our association with Khan Academy, we are leveraging the power of technology to humanize the classroom.
To learn more about our Vision & Learning Design, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
LEAD ADVISOR (Homeroom Teacher Middle School, Independence Level 5)
The advisor is primarily a mentor to students and lead project designer, the advisor personalizes the education at KLS with a high-touch approach. The advisor supports content delivery, but is not primarily responsible for it.
- Curate a world-class elementary level learning experience using best practices, based on experience and research
- 1:1 Advisor: Provide personalized support to each student assigned to their advisory group; identify and plan for expected learning outcomes
- Meet each student 1:1 once a week to set, monitor and evaluate progress on goals (e.g. tutoring, mentoring, reflection, feedback, goal setting)
- Collect and reflect on student data; adjust and advise instruction accordingly
- Communicate consistently and frequently with students and their parents and supervisor about students’ goals and progress, take in feedback and address any questions or concerns directly, positively and in a timely manner
- Support students in collaboration with the specialist in developing a strong foundational knowledge in core skills (reading, writing, math, foreign language and digital literacy)
- Set clear expectations and monitor student behavior, as well as respond appropriately and consistently to misbehavior
- Model and foster a culture of respect and learning
- Project Based Learning:
- Lead and design experiential, project-based learning activities for the class by using global resources to create an experience that’s relevant and real-world for a mixed-age setting
- Design assessments for learning congruent with instructional and personalized learning goals using the backwards design model, in collaboration with specialists
- Embed competencies in projects (e.g. cognitive skills and character strengths, global citizenship, creation, purpose and deeper learning competencies)
- Determine students’ academic and social emotional learning objectives and ensure that they’re met
- Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant
- Organize and prepare resources, field trips, guest speakers connected to the students’ learning
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions to be shared publicly, including curriculum, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for school education
- Have at least 5+ years experience teaching Middle School as homeroom teacher
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree, a Master’s Degree in Education or equivalent
- Prior experience with project-based learning activities
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results and incorporating social emotional learning into student experiences
- Prior experience with or a desire to teach in a setting that values giving up control and allowing students to make mistakes and gain maturity and self-motivation through independence
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social emotional capabilities
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Coaching and tutoring experience
- Youth leadership experience
- A portfolio of project based learning and applied learning lessons across multiple domains in the humanities and sciences
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Multilingual and international experience
- Experience working with elementary through high school aged students
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free lunch and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while Khan Lab School is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are also planning to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.