ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit organization on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly, and right now we’re hard at work helping learners address any unfinished learning that the COVID-19 pandemic may have caused. We also know that not all communities have been impacted equally by this pandemic, which makes our work focusing on providing equitable solutions to historically under-resourced communities even more important.
Khan Academy Kids is a team within the larger Khan Academy organization. We create our early learning program for age 2 through Grade 2, covering early literacy, math, and social emotional skills. Khan Academy Kids includes thousands of lessons and a personalized learning path in its mobile app for families and schools. We now also partner with school districts and have a web dashboard for district admins, implementation support, and professional development.
WE ARE DRIVEN BY OUR COMMUNITY
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life and so do we. We are fun, diverse, quirky people that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes people from academia and from high tech companies and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. Valuing diversity, equity and inclusion is necessary for us to actualize our mission and truly impact the communities we serve. We believe that the best way to provide impactful education is to create a diverse team of people from different backgrounds, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and experiences. We’re a hardworking team that’s passionate about helping learners and teachers around the globe! We strive to be world class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
The Khan Academy Kids team is looking for a Head of Partnerships to grow the adoption of Khan Academy Kids in preschools through Grade 2 through both district partnerships and organic teacher usage.
The Head of Partnerships will:
- Develop our product go-to-market strategy and infrastructure, including paid district partnerships and organic teacher usage, to drive usage of Khan Academy Kids in schools. Execute strategy by collaborating with our internal Khan Kids team on execution, as well as managing relationships with key teams in the larger Khan Academy organization: leadership, district sales, marketing, finance, and legal.
- Establish and manage strategic partnerships with organizations that have demonstrated the ability to boost the profile of Khan Academy Kids and drive usage.
- Manage the team responsible for Khan Academy Kids school district partnerships and teacher engagement.
- Work cross functionally with the Khan Academy Kids team and the relevant Khan Academy functions on 1-year and 3-year strategic planning for Khan Academy Kids. Ensure we are on track to contribute to Khan Academy's long-term plan, including developing and tracking progress to KPIs on acquisition, engagement, retention, and revenue.
- Support CEO of Khan Academy Kids on Board presentations, quarterly reporting, and external presentations.
- Collaborate with the Khan Academy Philanthropy team with fundraising efforts including development of the Khan Academy Kids ‘story’ and supporting materials. Maintain relationships with funding partners and author reports to fundraisers about the impact of their contribution.
- Work with the Khan Academy legal team to meet compliance requirements for school districts and get legal sign-off on products prior to launch.
- Advise on teacher marketing strategy and support team on execution.
- Collaborate with academic institutions to evaluate the efficacy of our early learning program in classrooms.
- Represent Khan Academy Kids externally including select conference attendance and support for marketing and media opportunities.
WHAT YOU BRING
- 10-15+ years of relevant experience in business development, district sales and/or strategy.
- Deep passion for impacting the education of young children, particularly those from historically under-resourced communities, and a desire to contribute to Khan Academy’s mission of a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere!
- Experience evaluating new business opportunities and establishing strategic partnerships. Understanding of how to evaluate business opportunities, size market opportunities, and analyze market landscape.
- Ability to influence and build relationships across an organization and externally, including at the executive decision-making level.
- Experience working with schools on the adoption of district products, ideally for preschool or elementary school. Understanding of the needs of districts, schools, and students in under-resourced communities.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate a vision and strategy.
- The ability to develop an in-depth understanding of the product and communicate the product vision to potential partners.
- The ability to operate strategically as a leader but also willing to roll up their sleeves and pitch in with the team. We are looking for a self-starter who is comfortable working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment with a small, nimble team.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where Parents, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Women and Gender Minorities, and LGBTQIA+ identified folks come together
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
Not Required but nice to have:
- MBA or graduate degree in related field or equivalent experience
- Previous background in management consulting
MORE ABOUT US
- Khan Academy Kids
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.