ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit organization on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly, focusing on providing equitable solutions to historically under-resourced communities.
WE ARE DRIVEN BY COMMUNITY
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life and so do we. We are fun, diverse, quirky people that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes people from academia and from high tech companies and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. Valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion is necessary for us to actualize our mission and truly impact the communities we serve. We believe that the best way to provide impactful education is to create a diverse team of people from different backgrounds, races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and experiences. We're a hardworking team that's passionate about helping learners and teachers around the globe! We strive to be world class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
We’re a small team with big dreams and we’re only just getting started. We have some of the richest educational data in the world, and we want to leverage that data to develop a clearer picture of who our users are, how they are using the site, and how we could better serve them on their educational journey. Your work will enable answering critical and meaningful questions like "how do students learn most effectively?" and "how can we improve our content and product?"
The Sr. Analytics Engineer will strengthen our capabilities to enable the organization to use data to inform our decisions. You will have ownership of our enterprise data model and the core data pipelines that power our top line metrics and critical analyses.
The Sr. Analytics Engineer is someone who enjoys tidying and documenting data and then delighting in the company’s well-organized EDW. You favor writing SQL to transform raw data into the data models to service your customers, the Analytics and Research teams, to empower them to generate actionable insights for stakeholders. You’ll work on projects that improve the quality and reliability of our existing data, and you’ll also enable entire new areas of the organization with new core data sources. You also adopt software engineering best practices to produce high quality data solutions.
What you'll do:
Systematically build out our enterprise data model and warehouse:
- Design, build, and productionize our ever-improving suite of core pipelines and data tables to enable standardized reporting and analysis.
- Collaborate with engineers on the infrastructure team to improve our data technology stack (logging, instrumentation, ETL, security). You may also pitch in to help them bring new data into our warehouse.
- Partner with analytics team members, the research team, and the broader product and business teams to design and standardize business rules and metric definitions.
- Implement EDW standards and robust monitoring/QA processes to ensure we continue to improve the quality and reliability of our data.
Empower every team with data:
- Identify, pilot, and deploy whichever tools, datasets, and processes are best suited to increase access to and data use across Khan Academy to empower data-driven decision-making.
- In addition to supporting members of the Data Insights Group, work with the product, content, philanthropy, marketing teams, and others to bring data to their fingertips, ideally with solutions that allow them to self-serve with our Looker implementation.
- Build infrastructural data solutions to facilitate reporting to external partners and ensure the highest standards of data accuracy, reliability, and security
Help instill a ‘data driven’/’data informed’ culture:
- Shepherd our Metrics and Data Documentation wiki
- Train team members on data skills and tooling
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 6+ years experience in analytics/data engineering or data warehousing; or in a business intelligence field with a strong emphasis on data modeling and pipeline work. Preference for experience in a consumer-facing internet business or edtech setting.
- Advanced SQL skills (window functions, creating UDFs, DML/DDL commands, etc.)
- Proficiency in writing and maintaining data pipelines and data quality monitors in a workflow management tool for productionized solutions, with source control and code review.
- Proficiency in computer science and software engineering fundamentals, including at least one scripting language (e.g., Python)
- Experience across the entire data lifecycle: instrumentation, logging, data modeling, ETL, Business Intelligence, and visualization tools.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where Parents, Black and Hispanic/Latino, Women and Gender Minorities, and LGBTQIA+ identified folks come together
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
MORE ABOUT US
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.