Khan Academy is a nonprofit education technology organization with a mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Millions of learners, teachers, and parents around the world use Khan Academy each month. Our team is passionate about shaping the future of education and making a difference in educational outcomes.
We are looking for a corporate counsel to support our General Counsel. This will be our second legal hire, carrying a broad range of responsibilities including transaction support, helping to develop and implement compliance programs and providing day-to-day legal guidance for business teams within the organization.
If you are looking for the opportunity to make a signiﬁcant impact, and have a passion for education, this role provides a great opportunity to apply your legal skills and experience to help take your career and our nonprofit mission to the next level.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Serve as the legal business partner for one or more business teams, handling transactional, regulatory, advisory and compliance issues as they arise.
- Support our school partnerships and business development teams with contract negotiations and related partnership support matters.
- Advise product management on legal issues relating to product design and operations, with specific attention to data privacy.
- Assist as needed with vendor/service provider contracts, including due diligence review, modification and contract negotiation.
- Help to design, build, and improve our compliance program and legal department forms and processes.
- Handle special projects and incidental matters as requested.
- Must have a JD from an accredited law school and be an active member in good standing of at least one state bar.
- 6-10 years of legal experience, preferably with a mix of law firm and in-house experience advising companies in the technology / online services sector.
- Strong corporate generalist with demonstrated ability to handle a wide range of matters with minimal supervision. The role is well-suited to a motivated self-starter that wants to broaden their skill set in a role that will continue to grow with the business.
- You will need to develop and maintain a deep understanding of student data privacy regulations (FERPA, COPPA and similar state laws) that impact our operations. A solid foundation in privacy, security, & data protection will be extremely helpful.
- You possess strong business judgment and the ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to build the processes and systems to prevent them from occurring.
- Strong project management and prioritization skills.
- Adept at building strong relationships and working cross-functionally.
- Certification in privacy or data security (CIPP or similar) is preferred but not required.
About our Benefits:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Please specify your current active bar membership(s) and any additional relevant certifications.
- In the space provided below, briefly share insight on your approach to ensuring that legal and compliance objectives are met through scalable, repeatable processes.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.