At Khan Academy, we have an incredible mission—“to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere”—and we need an incredible team to accomplish it. Today, more than 100 million learners, teachers, and parents around the world have signed up for Khan Academy. We believe education is a human right and we are working to create a world where everyone gets the education they need to unlock their potential. Especially now in a time of school closures and widening inequality in education, we are committed to keeping everyone learning.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented donor operations and stewardship associate to join our team. If you have a profound appreciation for data-hygiene, efficient processes, and a well-run database and are excited to make that happen, this is the right role for you. Khan Academy is in the process of upgrading its donor management systems and looking for someone who is energized by the opportunity to help support that transformation and maintain the new system moving forward. The right candidate will relish efficient processes and managing operations and systems. The donor associate also plays an important frontline role responding to all donor inquiries to ensure questions are answered and that all supporters and members of the Khan Academy community have a positive experience.
The donor associate maintains the operational foundation of the philanthropy department and provides important donor stewardship touchpoints, helping to ensure that Khan Academy has the necessary support for our mission. This role is the true superhero of the team enabling the entire team’s success.
The position reports to the Head of Community Giving.
The donor operations and stewardship associate will provide comprehensive operational and administrative support for the philanthropy team to ensure accurate reporting, tracking, and stewardship. The donor associate also interacts directly with donors in an important customer support role.
- Serve as the main point of contact and data manager for the Philanthropy CRM and other philanthropy systems.
- Ensure all donations from all sources (checks, workplace giving, Donor Advised Funds, social, website) are accurately entered and maintained in the CRM database.
- Ensure data accuracy and integrity across systems and maintain CRM as “source of truth” by regularly deduping records, verifying data, correcting mistakes, and communicating all business rules, changes and updates to appropriate staff.
- Support accurate data migration between systems by running reports, reviewing data sets and identifying inconsistencies and gaps.
- Ensure donation systems and tracking workflows are functioning correctly (Stripe and Paypal within website etc.). Conduct user testing, respond to issues being reported directly by donors, escalate issues and instances of possible fraud to engineering, finance and security with relevant screenshots and documentation.
- Create and maintain reports and dashboards for all philanthropy functions to track progress, support campaigns and mailings, inform fundraising strategy, and increase the efficiency of daily tasks.
- Collaborate with philanthropy and finance team members and CRM professional services to create and/or improve and document business processes that are essential for the organization’s fundraising success e.g. financial reconciliation, processes for donor refund requests and donation receipts etc.
- Maintain accurate records to ensure audit compliance.
Gift processing & reconciliation
- Ensure expedient and accurate gift processing, and oversee the entire process from intake to data entry to formal acknowledgements and thank you letters for donations and soft credits to accurately storing final grant agreements and acknowledgements.
- Manage accurate and timely confirmations of workplace giving matching gift programs.
- Prepare reports and liaise with the finance team members on monthly reconciliation.
- Serve as first point of contact for all incoming donor inquiries and maintain a high quality of customer care and service for all donors and Khan Academy community members including handling donor questions, requests for additional information, and refunds.
- Support donor communication and a positive donor experience by managing email lists, producing emails within Khan Academy email systems including email merge, and mailing physical touch points like acknowledgements/appreciation letters, postcards and small gifts.
- Update acknowledgment letters and write other communication materials as requested.
- Assist in handling logistics of philanthropy functions such as coordinating events, invitations and materials. Occasionally the associate will conduct donor/prospect research.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience)
- 3-5 years of experience
- 2+ years working in a CRM, ideally as a super-user or primary analyst. Experience with all aspects of donor operations including gift acknowledgments, reconciliation processes etc.
- High standard of excellence, superior attention to detail, a profound commitment to accuracy and follow-through.
- A systematic mindset; the ability to map & document business processes.
- Strong organizational skills, including time-management, ability to work efficiently and accurately to meet deadlines, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated excellent written communication, including ability to interface directly with donors via email and to produce polished and compelling communication and effective oral communication skills.
- Ability to effectively collaborate and manage projects across team members and functions
- High degree of professionalism, tact, sensitivity, and level of confidentiality; a good sense of humor and a can-do optimism is a plus
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment
- This position is based in Mountain View and expected to come into the office daily when it is open. During the current Shelter in Place candidates must be able to work effectively with a partially remote team and come to the Mountain View office on a weekly basis to handle essential physical business processes.
- Passion for the mission and to make the work a better place by increasing access to education.
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, disability, or veteran status.