About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re assembling a library of world-class instructional and practice resources to empower students everywhere. Whether they’re studying mass, mantles, or mammals, we want to offer students the resources and support they need to succeed on their homework and exams and to realize that they can learn anything. Join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
About the Senior Efficacy & Research Scientist Role
The Senior Efficacy & Research Scientist is responsible for executing and guiding rigorous research– both in-house and via 3rd parties, both in the US and internationally – to evaluate whether and how the use of our content and products are helping to further academic achievement of learners and teachers. Research will cover core academic subjects and grades (early childhood, K-12, AP, early college), as well as test prep (SAT, LSAT, Praxis Core). In ten years, Khan Academy’s vision is to globally enable every K-14 core subject to be either learned in conjunction with teachers and their physical classroom or independently, and the Senior Efficacy & Research Scientist is an integral part of helping to achieve that mission by assisting with substantive, verifiable studies providing evidence of the efficacy of our content and products.
In this role you will:
- Provide Evidence of Efficacy:
- Define research questions and supporting research design with an analytic plan/ When applicable, collaborate on the development of new instruments, support IRB reviews, establish recruitment strategies, and collect data on-site.
- Conduct large-scale data extraction of Khan Academy usage data that is aligned to the required data elements from the analytic plan.
- Conduct analyses by using programming skills in R to link multiple datasets and apply statistical models to assess the impact on outcomes.
- Provide Evidence to Guide Product and Content Improvements:
- Develop a deep knowledge of Khan Academy products
- Drive internal exploratory analyses to generate insights for product and content improvement and collaborate with cross-functional teams on implementing evidence-based improvements.
- Communicate the Value of Khan Academy:
- Thoughtful, impactful visual and written communication of findings of studies for internal and external audiences.
Attend and present at industry conferences to increase the awareness of Khan Academy’s Efficacy & Research team.
- Actionable Khan Academy driven research studies (across product, content, and implementation in the US and internationally) that allow us to assess our efficacy and improve our offerings
- Guidance to Khan Academy’s product, content and analytics teams as they shape A/B tests, improve products, and other internal research.
- Co-presents at industry conferences to increase awareness of Khan Academy’s efficacy
- Evaluation of research performed by outside parties
- Strong post-PhD experience conducting research in EdTech, or other education related companies,
- Experience successfully executing on and driving research outside of academia with a focus on understanding what works, under what conditions, and for whom.
- Broad and deep skills in research design, measurement, and analytical aspects of education research and efficacy
- SQL proficiency (or strong willingness to learn)
- Comfort and experience with wrangling/cleaning complex data and driving in-depth undefined exploratory analyses
- Comfort with working on projects outside of an academic or think tank/research center setting.
- Flexibility to problem-solve creatively in a still-young digital education medium
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves and help the team get work done as we are growing
- A passion for education and a desire to change the world
- The ability to work full time [from our offices in Mountain View, CA or from your home]
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We have a preference for this candidate to work from our office in Mountain View, CA; but for the right candidate and fit, we are open to remote arrangements.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Respond to the following prompt in the space below: Have you used R before to clean and analyze data? If yes, please describe some of the tasks you were completing and the R tools or packages you typically use.
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: We believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for people who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team’s experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives - whether personal, professional, academic, or in your own classroom - would contribute to the diversity of our team and our ability to understand and address the needs of all learners.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.