About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a nonprofit on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of high-quality instructional and practice resources that empowers learners and the teachers who support them. Regardless of what is being studied, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
About the Chief Academic Officer
We’re looking for a senior thought leader who internally drives and communicates the instructional and pedagogical strategy for Khan Academy’s learning programs, content, and product to improve student and teacher engagement and outcomes. This person will also represent Khan Academy externally in the education, press and philanthropic communities and ensure we're always grounded in the realities of K-12 and higher education as well as best practices from learning science.
What You’ll Do
- Can unpack and translate our pedagogical vision and theory of change, in conjunction with known best practices, to address key pedagogical choices in our product, programs, and content and ensure the cross-functional teams are aligned.
- Understands the learning needs of the organization related to education and learning science, and proactively helps ensure understanding and alignment between the educational learning science, the content / software development, and our marketing / narrative externally with key documentation and decision-making frameworks.
- As a senior leader, increases pedagogical capacity of Khan’s senior leadership team for strategic decision making.
WORK WITH PRODUCT AND CONTENT
- Supports and influences the direction of a cohesive, research-informed design across product, content and programs, providing critical feedback to product teams to create hypotheses and learning plans to ensure we are increasing learning outcomes in the next generation of tools, content, and offerings. Ensures pedagogical coherence of our overall offering. For example, help align and crystallize our point-of-view on topics such as:
- Mastery learning
- Diagnostic assessment and placement
- Progress Monitoring
- Implementation models
- Motivation mechanics
- Deep evaluation of alternative solutions with a learning science and practitioner lens
- Works closely with relevant teams to determine the most important questions around efficacy and engagement that need to be addressed and how to address them. This could be answered through means like user research, A/B tests, looking at item level accuracy data, existing research or designing new experiments (or some combination of all of the above).
- Manages external thought leaders and subject matter expert relationships to incorporate expert knowledge and feedback on content and product, such as external literature reviews.
WORK WITH MARKETING & PHILANTHROPY
- Assists in the creation of standardized learning and pedagogy language to support marketing, district, and teacher training with clear, consistent, industry-aligned messaging
- Supports school and district partnership teams as needed, e.g. working with Chief Academic Officers and other school leaders to further differentiate Khan Academy as a teacher-centered organization and thought-leader in learning, education, and pedagogy
- Writes (and/or co-authors with Founder and CEO) articles, blogs, and other content marketing materials to better demonstrate Khan Academy as a thought leader in education and increase teacher, school, and district confidence and trust
- Attends conferences and speaks at industry events to further Khan Academy’s leadership role in the education sector and to bring back learnings
We are looking for a candidate with a combination of the following attributes:
- Deep understanding of learning science across domains, with an emphasis on math and ELA. PhD or EdD not required but a plus. Can balance research insights with the practical realities of classrooms and scalable digital solutions.
- Experience as a teacher, school leader, and/or district-official.
- Experience implementing personalized learning.
- Strong familiarity with Common Core State Standards and major curricula
- Strong familiarity with Khan Academy (especially as implemented in classrooms) and other personalized learning tools.
- Strong view of the ed tech marketplace and what different folks are doing well and what they aren’t doing well.
- Experience with software development lifecycle and working with product teams developing technology, especially education technology.
- Experience with how district or philanthropic resources are allocated.
Ideally, the candidate will be based in Mountain View, CA, but we are willing to hire outside of the Khan Academy main office for the right candidate.
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We have a preference for this candidate to work from our office in Mountain View, CA; but for the right candidate and fit, we are open to remote arrangements.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: We believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team’s experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives - whether personal, professional, academic, or in your own classroom - would contribute to the diversity of our team and our ability to understand and address the needs of all learners.