About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a nonprofit startup on a mission to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of high-quality instructional and practice resources that empowers learners and the teachers who support them. Whether they’re studying metaphors, mitosis, Marbury v. Madison, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
About the Science Content Team
Our content team includes the content creators who make our videos, articles, and practice questions that help students and teachers learn about and teach dozens of courses. Today, Khan’s science courses include biology, chemistry, physics, and computing and computer science, all largely aimed at high school learners. In the years ahead, we want to continue building out the sciences across grades K-14.
About the Senior Science Content Manager Role
We’re looking for an innovative team leader responsible for coaching and developing our team of science content creators (currently 3 people) and providing the support that allows them to do their best work. In this role, you’ll also be responsible for setting our short- and long-term strategic vision of Khan’s science offering, and then implementing that vision into concrete definitions of content success, precise project plans, and efficient processes.
Content is an integral part of Khan Academy’s overall product, so this role requires a highly collaborative and cross-functional mindset. By co-creating science offerings alongside Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, and Marketers, you’ll ensure Khan launches cohesive science offerings that are engaging and efficacious for our learners. And because we partner with a number of schools, foundations, and organizations, you’ll need to be relationship-driven and comfortable representing Khan Academy’s science offering to external audiences.
You have a lot of expertise, experience, and qualities that aren’t often found together, including:
- You have deep knowledge and expertise in at least one area in the sciences (e.g. an advanced degree in an area within biology, chemistry, or physics). But you also have great intuition for when the content in an area you’re less familiar with could benefit from more clarity, simplification, or research.
- You have experience creating compelling science content and course offerings combining disciplinary expertise, pedagogical research, and the realities of today’s classrooms.
- You’ve taught science at the K-12 or university level, giving you a deep empathy with learners, teachers and classrooms.
- You've managed teams of writers, teachers, or content creators for 2+ years, and you have a track record of successfully coaching and growing teams.
- You’ve project managed processes and editorial workflows for content creation and publication, preferably in an online-first, education platform.
- You’ve developed a knack for gathering and interpreting internal and external data and metrics and transforming them into strategic decisions.
- You think expansively about your team, with a history of working collaboratively and cross-functionally to achieve shared success in organization-wide goals and projects.
- You’re a strong communicator, equipped with multiple strategies for delivering effective feedback and for articulating how to make great ideas and content even better.
- You're comfortable with ambiguity and enthusiastic about experimentation.
- You have a true passion for education and a desire to change the world for the better.
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We have a preference for this candidate to work from our office in Mountain View, CA; but for the right candidate and fit, we are open to remote arrangements.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Briefly describe your people management experience including the number of people you’ve directly managed and the length of time
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: We believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team’s experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives - whether personal, professional, academic, or in your own classroom - would contribute to the diversity of our team and our ability to understand and address the needs of all learners.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.