Khan Academy is looking for passionate software engineers to help change education – join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’ve built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Mozilla, Pixar, and Intuit, as well as folks from tiny startups and developers from non-traditional backgrounds. Together, we’re a team that is deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
What you'll do?
As a member of the KA Infrastructure/DevOps organization, you will collaborate with the Software Product Development teams to develop automation software and management tools that enable deployment automation, configuration, scaling, high availability and production readiness of our Cloud infrastructure across multiple data centers.
- Key contributor to DevOps team in a DevOps-oriented, cloud-focused systems and infrastructure engineering organization
- Design, code, test and deploy Khan Academy in-houses tools and cloud infrastructure services to enable the development and operations of our cutting edge product development teams using Go, Python, Kotlin and shell scripts.
- Implement automation to perform the day to day systems operations functions of the cloud platform using Google Cloud, App Engine, Compute engine, Kubernete, Jenkins, Github,etc.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to the cloud platform; implement long term fixes and automation to avoid repeat failures in the future.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables related to your technical expertise and assigned domains
- Mentor and train other team members on coding standards, cloud-design patterns, and infrastructure architecture related to your technical expertise and assigned domains
- Participate in on-call rotations with infrastructure team.
Who are you?
- BS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience) plus 5 years of experience or MS in Computer Science with 3 years of previous experience as a DevOps Engineer, Cloud Operations, SRE, Services Engineer, Systems Engineer of Software Engineer interested in creating software to automate systems and processes.
- Experience with DevOps technologies such as Google Cloud, Kubernete, Docker, Jenkins, Git/Github, JIRA/Confluence and Phabricator, etc
- Experience in one or more development languages of Go, Python, Kotlin, Java or shell programming.
- Good networking skills, cloud monitoring skills and familiarity with Unix/Linux systems including CLI.
- Experience with DevOps core concepts, Agile software development practice, and Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery processes(CI/CD).
- Oral and written communication skills, comfortable communicating with groups of people when needed
- Cloud enabling technology (using IaaS and PaaS) experience desirable
- Familiar with Mobile CI/CD.
- Familiar with database concepts, SQL and NoSQL
We offer the following benefits:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our team well!
- The opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses.
- Ample paid time off as needed. We’ll support you in maintaining a healthy life-work balance.
- Delicious catered lunch every day, plus tons of snacks and beverages.
- An inclusive, excited, and friendly team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant.
- A great location – we’re only 0.5 miles from the Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We also pay for remote employees to fly out a few times a year, and our San Francisco dwellers are encouraged to work from home a few days a week to save the commute time.
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights.
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life.
Why Khan Academy?
As an organization and as individuals, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, medical conditions, genetic information, disability, or Veteran status. We strongly encourage all candidates to complete the EEOC questions below so that we can continue to monitor our processes and ensure we are creating an environment that allows candidates to feel comfortable and display their best selves across many lines of difference.