Do you want to lead teams of experienced mission-driven software engineers who are transforming education? Khan Academy is on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Today, over 15 million learners and teachers around the world use Khan Academy each month, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.
We’re looking for an experienced engineering leader to drive delivery of components of the Khan learning platform, partnering with colleagues in design and product management to lead development of world class learning experiences for learners everywhere. In this role you will build, enable, empower, and develop a team of deeply-motivated, diverse, outstanding engineers. You will partner with architects and other engineering managers to make sure our product architecture, performance, and quality meet the needs of our users, and that our engineers are empowered and supported with tools and processes to efficiently deliver amazing user experiences. You are a respected technical leader, a collaborative problem-solver, and you help align vision across the organization. You are passionate about delivering great learning experiences and will dive into deeply understanding pedagogy to help develop an additive point of view.
At least seven years of experience managing teams of software engineers and managers
A desire to change the world
A strong engineering management background and track record of managing high-performing teams
An outstanding track record of delivering results
Facility with and a track record of using effective product development processes that you can teach
The ability to motivate and drive a talented, creative, and technical team
Strong communication skills, both spoken and written — a history of blogging or essay-writing is helpful
To command technical respect — you can dive into technical discussions and deeply understand and influence the decision making process
To excel at giving and receiving feedback
Passion for helping others succeed
Authorization to work in the US
You can read about our latest work on our Engineering Blog. A few highlights:
- Taking on world-changing challenges guided by our Engineering Principles – some of which have never been solved before.
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.