About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a fast-paced, nonprofit startup on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of world-class instructional and practice resources that empowers learners. Whether they’re studying metaphors, mitosis, Marbury v. Madison, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
About the Humanities Content Team
Our content team includes the content creators who make our videos, articles, and practice questions to help teachers and students. Today, Khan’s humanities courses include history, government and civics, grammar, economics, and art history. In the years ahead, we want to continue building out social studies across grades K-14, while also significantly increasing our coverage of ELA, starting in elementary and middle school.
About the Senior Content Manager Role
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, dynamic leader to propel our short- and long-term strategic vision of Khan’s humanities offering, and then translate that vision into concrete definitions of content success, precise project plans, and efficient processes. In this role, you’ll also be a people manager responsible for coaching and developing our team of history and English Language Arts content creators (currently 4 people) to support them in doing their best work. For some courses adjacent to humanities, such as economics and art history, you’ll also support lighter maintenance and updates as needed.
Content is an integral part of Khan Academy’s overall product, so this role necessitates a highly collaborative and cross-functional mindset. By co-creating humanities offerings alongside Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, and Marketers, you’ll ensure Khan launches cohesive content+product humanities offerings that are engaging and efficacious for our learners. And because we partner with a number of schools, foundations, and organizations, you’ll need to be relationship-driven and comfortable representing Khan Academy’s humanities offering to external audiences.
You have a lot of expertise, experience, and qualities that aren’t often found together, including:
- You have deep knowledge and expertise in at least one humanities area (e.g. a college degree or teaching certification in ELA, history, or art history). But you also have great intuition for when the content in an area you’re less familiar with could benefit from more clarity, simplification, or research.
- You have experience creating compelling humanities content and course offerings combining disciplinary expertise, pedagogical research, and the realities of today’s classrooms
- You’ve taught humanities at the K-12 or university level, giving you a deep empathy with teachers and classrooms
- You've managed teams of writers, teachers, or content creators for 2+ years, and you have a track record of successfully coaching and growing teams
- You’ve project managed processes and editorial workflows for content creation and publication, especially in an online-first platform
- You’ve developed a knack for gathering and interpreting internal and external data and metrics and transforming them into strategic decisions
- You think expansively about your “team,” with a history of working collaboratively and cross-functionally to achieve shared success in organization-wide goals and projects
- You’re a strong communicator, equipped with different strategies for delivering effective feedback and for articulating how to make great ideas and content even better
- You're comfortable with ambiguity and enthusiastic about experimentation
- You’re applying because you have a true passion for education and a desire to change the world for the better
About our benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We have a preference for this candidate to work from our office in Mountain View, CA; for the right candidate and fit, we are open to remote arrangements.
- Awesome team events, on-site and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
How to apply
- Attach your resume to the job posting on our Khan Careers page
- Briefly describe your people management experience including number of people you’ve directly managed and the length of time.
- Address the following prompt in the space provided below: We believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team’s experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives - whether personal, professional, academic, or in your own classroom - would contribute to the diversity of our team and our ability to understand and address the needs of all learners.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our content: https://www.khanacademy.org/resources/teacher-essentials/our-content/v/overview-of-khan-academy-content
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.