About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a fast-paced, nonprofit startup on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of world-class instructional and practice resources that empowers learners. Whether they’re studying metaphors, mitosis, Marbury v. Madison, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
About the India Content Team
Our content team in India includes the content creators who make our videos, articles, and practice questions, aligned with Indian curriculum, to help both teachers and students. They are creating courses with thousands of videos, practice exercises and articles, in conversational Hindi (i.e. ‘Hinglish’), and English. This approach reduces the cognitive load on many learners when they are trying to understand a difficult concept while listening to a non-native language at the same time. We are actively working on content localization in other regional languages as well, thereby quintupling the impact!
About the Role
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, dynamic leader to propel our short- and long-term strategic vision of Khan India’s content offerings, and then translate that vision into concrete definitions of content success, precise project plans, and efficient processes. In this role, you’ll also be a people manager responsible for coaching and developing our team of content creators, to support them in doing their best work.
Content is an integral part of Khan Academy’s overall product, so this role necessitates a highly collaborative and cross-functional mindset. You’ll co-create the content offerings alongside the U.S. and other international teams, Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, Marketers.
You have a lot of expertise, experience, and qualities that aren’t often found together, including:
- You have deep knowledge and expertise in at least one math or science area (e.g. a college degree or teaching certification in math or science). But you also have great intuition for when the content in an area you’re less familiar with could benefit from more clarity, simplification, or research;
- You have experience creating compelling math or science learning content and course offerings combining disciplinary expertise, pedagogical research, and the realities of today’s classrooms and learners in India;
- You’ve taught or tutored at the K-12 or university level, giving you a deep empathy with teachers and classrooms;
- You've managed teams of writers, teachers, or content creators for 2+ years, and you have a track record of successfully coaching and growing teams;
- You’ve project managed processes and editorial workflows for content creation and publication, especially in an online-first platform;
- You’ve developed a knack for gathering and interpreting internal and external data and metrics and transforming them into strategic decisions;
- You think expansively about your “team,” with a history of working collaboratively and cross-functionally to achieve shared success in organization-wide goals and projects;
- You’re a strong communicator, equipped with different strategies for delivering effective feedback and for articulating how to make great ideas and content even better;
- You're comfortable with ambiguity and enthusiastic about experimentation;
- You’re applying because you have a true passion for education and a desire to change the world for the better.
Perks and Benefits
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team like a for-profit.
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible schedules and required time off to ensure you are well-rested
- Comprehensive insurance (medical, dental, vision, life)
- Delicious lunches daily
- Paid parental leave
- Remote-friendly workplace
- Fun team events and board game nights!
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- A glimpse of our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team.
How to apply
- Attach your resume or Linkedin URL in the space provided below.
- Please address the following question- We believe that reaching all learners requires a team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team’s experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives - whether personal, professional, academic or in your own classroom - would contribute to the diversity of our team and our ability to understand and address the needs of all learners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.