Khan Academy is looking for exceptional up-and-coming designers to create a free virtual classroom for the world. Join us on our mission to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart who believe that shipping beats perfection. We have built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small team, deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
As a good candidate for our design internship, you will have a portfolio with a string of successful projects that demonstrates strong skills in at least two of the following:
- User Experience design
- User Interface design
- Graphic design
- Navigation and information architecture
We also expect our designers to be building solid technical and production skills. You should have a set of tools that you love to use when designing, and you can show us how you've used them in the past to make great things.
- A passion for designing engaging learning experiences, as well as a desire to change the world
- An ability to chew through difficult problems. You probably noticed this ability not long after you first sat down to design something. You leave a trail of successful projects in your wake
- Great intuition for how users like to learn, and mastery of the subjects you took in high school and college. You’re not afraid of any integral, and can master any subject you put your mind to
- 12-24 weeks of availability
We are largely accepting applications for Summer 2017, but we will gladly review applications for Fall and Winter 2016 as well.
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries, housing stipends, and all travel covered
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software that's already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber, diverse team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
HOW TO APPLY
Along with your resume, please include:
1) Your portfolio, or even better, living breathing projects that you've worked on and helped to succeed
2) A cover letter that includes why you want to join Khan Academy
- The intern experience: https://www.khanacademy.org/careers/interns
- Blog posts by a couple past interns: http://www.elizabethylin.com/khan/ and http://www.kasrak.com/writing/khan-internship/
- Our Design team featured in the news: http://gigaom.com/2014/02/25/how-khan-academy-is-using-design-to-pave-the-way-for-the-future-of-education/
- Sal’s TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.