Khan Academy is looking for exceptional product designers to create a free virtual classroom for the world. Our small team is changing the face of education - join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but elite team, deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
The design team is still small, highly leveraged, and we expect every member to be making contributions across the board. As a good candidate, you will have a great portfolio with a string of successful projects in your wake. Your friends and coworkers think of you as the go-to person for at least two of these:
- User Experience design
- User Interface design
- Graphic design
- Navigation and information architecture
We also expect our designers to have solid technical skills. You should have a set of tools that you love to use when designing, and you can show us how you've used them in the past to make great products. Oh, also, you're not afraid of code, and you can show that you've worked well with engineering teams throughout your career.
- A passion for designing engaging learning experiences, as well as a desire to change the world
- US, Canadian, Australian, or Mexican citizenship, US Residency, or other authorization to work in the US
- Availability to work full time from our office in Mountain View, CA
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
Along with your resume please provide:
1) Your portfolio, or even better, living breathing projects that you've worked on and helped to succeed
2) A cover letter including a brief explanation of why you'd like to join Khan Academy
- Our Design team featured in the news: http://gigaom.com/2014/02/25/how-khan-academy-is-using-design-to-pave-the-way-for-the-future-of-education/
- Sal’s TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html
- Lead designer Jason Rosoff’s blog: http://shipordie.com
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Sal’s Interview with BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04hytg6
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.