Khan Academy is looking for talented data scientists and engineers to create a free virtual classroom for the world. Our small team is changing the face of education - join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but elite team, deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
Our Data Scientists and Engineers will focus on unlocking the unique power of our dataset to improve the learning experience of our users. We'll build a technology toolkit (a data warehouse, distributed compute environment, and collection of useful APIs) to turbo-charge our own research. We'll design thoughtful experiments using our open source A/B testing framework to determine what works and what doesn't. We'll collaborate closely with our developers and designers to help shape the future of our product. And we'll perform scientific research on the cutting edge.
Every day, learners of all ages rely on Khan Academy to learn. Khan Academy has been featured broadly, including in 60 Minutes, Wired, The Economist and of course, The Colbert Report.
- We're not religious about using a specific technology. We're religious about providing an incredible experience for Khan Academy learners
- Cutting edge research from the psychology, education, and cognitive science to to guide our experiements and form our hypotheses
YOU DON'T NEED
Lisp expertise. Actually, we don't require experience in any particular technology, but you should have an impressive collection of cool projects. We’re confident that you’ll be able to learn whatever languages and frameworks we throw at you (or, more likely, you throw at us).
- To know how to code. We're a small team tackling big problems; you'll make the biggest impact if you can ship production-ready code and contribute to our research infrastructure
- Passion for whatever technology you've used in the past
- Solid command of basic statistics and a strong quantitative aptitude. Machine learning and advanced stats not required, but it sure doesn't hurt
- Pragmatism and demonstrated skill at turning data into action
- A passion for data and desire to change the world
- US, Canadian, Australian, or Mexican citizenship, US Residency, or other authorization to work in the US
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
Along with your resume, please include:
1) Links to any projects (we really like these). We especially like living, breathing projects; please do not send your code
2) A cover letter that includes why you want to join Khan Academy
- KA Data Science blog: http://data.khanacademy.org/
- Sal’s TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Sal’s Interview with BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04hytg6
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.