*We are no longer accepting internship applications for this summer 2015*
Khan Academy is looking for talented software developers to create a free virtual classroom for the world. Join us on our mission to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart who believe that shipping beats perfection. We have built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but elite team, deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
Our developers tackle world-changing challenges that have never been solved before. Recent examples include:
- Building innovative new ways to teach computer science (http://ejohn.org/blog/introducing-khan-cs/)
- Designing a machine learning model to optimize a student’s learning path (http://david-hu.com/2011/11/02/how-khan-academy-is-using-machine-learning-to-assess-student-mastery.html)
- Running A/B tests to increase learning and affect real lives (not just increase page views)
- Reimagining ways for students to learn together online
- Scaling all the infrastructure needed to handle millions of users
Every day, learners of all ages rely on Khan Academy to learn. Khan Academy has been featured broadly, including in 60 Minutes, Wired, The Economist and of course, The Colbert Report.
- We're not religious about using a specific technology. We're religious about providing an incredible experience for Khan Academy learners
YOU DON'T NEED
Lisp expertise. Actually, we don't require experience in any particular technology, but you should have an impressive collection of cool projects. We’re confident that you’ll be able to learn whatever languages and frameworks we throw at you (or, more likely, you throw at us).
- A passion for software and engaging learning experiences, as well as desire to change the world
- An ability to chew through difficult software problems. You probably noticed this ability not long after you first sat down in front of a computer. You leave a trail of successful software projects in your wake
- Great intuition for how users like to learn. You have the motivation and courage to tackle any new subject you put your mind to, and not let go until you've mastered it
- 12-24 weeks of availability
- US, Canadian, Australian, or Mexican citizenship, US Residency, or other authorization to work in the US
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Highly competitive salaries, housing stipends, and all travel covered
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software that's already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant – we treat interns more like co-founders
- 27 inch Mac monitors
HOW TO APPLY
Along with your resume, please include:
1) Links to any projects (we really like these). We especially like living, breathing projects; please do not send your code
2) A cover letter that includes why you want to join Khan Academy
And if you're feeling especially creative: Optionally include a link to a visualization that you've built on our programming platform (http://cs-blog.khanacademy.org/p/build-visualization-on-our-programming.html).
- The intern experience: https://www.khanacademy.org/careers/interns
- Blog posts by a couple past interns: http://www.elizabethylin.com/khan/ and http://www.kasrak.com/writing/khan-internship/
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Sal’s TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html
- Lead developer Ben Kamens’ blog: http://bjk5.com
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.