Hello there! 👋🏾
We’re looking for product designers interested in applying their skills 🧠🎨 in service of a more just and equitable world ✊.
At Khan Academy, our mission is to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere 🌍🌏🌎. We approach it with a spirit of humility and thoughtfulness about how technology is best positioned to help.
Khan Academy is a not-for-profit, and our funders care just as much as we do about our positive impact, efficacy, and leveling the playing field in education.
What you’ll work on
We have 2 open principal product designer roles:
- One is focused on the student experience: from shaping the first moment a student arrives at Khan Academy, to building their understanding of their learning growth and celebrating their progress over time. Since our mission is ultimately in service to students, this work is at the heart of all we do!
- One is focused on the teacher experience: you’ll help shape the classroom environment and all the interactions between teachers and students. You’ll design tools to help teachers make classroom learning personalized and joyful, and to provide them with insights to better support each of their students’ needs.
You’ll be actively involved in defining strategy and working through product problems, from research and definition to shipping and iterating.
You may be a good fit if
- You’ve been designing digital apps and systems for 8+ years. You have experience shipping products and collaborating with a cross-functional product team.
- You have a strong portfolio and are fluent across the design process—from problem definition to high fidelity design—with deep passion and expertise in at least 2-3 of these areas:
- Interaction design and information architecture
- Visual design
- Working with or creating comprehensive design systems
- Accessibility and inclusive design
- Qualitative and quantitative research
- Service design processes and frameworks
- Design thinking and workshop facilitation
- Discursive/speculative design
- You’re introspective, mature, and have excellent communication skills. You can demonstrate that you’re invested in mentoring other designers and collaborating with your peers and other disciplines, such as engineering and PM.
- You have a high comfort level working within a self-directed culture, solving complex problems, and navigating ambiguity.
- You’re passionate about education and designing engaging learning experiences, and you’re deeply curious about how and why people learn.
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed
- Catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- Walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View, with flexibility to work from other locations
- The opportunity to even the playing field and put your talents toward a deeply meaningful mission
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) with 4% matching, and comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
About the team
The team at Khan Academy comes from a wide variety of backgrounds, and we actively foster a cross-disciplinary environment because we believe that’s where the magic happens. Khan Academy currently employs around 200 full time staff, including the creators of our educational content, who come from teaching backgrounds.
The design team is a small, highly diverse group of people. Each member has a lot of impact and makes huge contributions across the board. There are currently 16 people on the team, from a wide variety of backgrounds: media (Vox), civics (18F), consumer (AirBnB, Square), enterprise (IBM), service (Starbucks) and the agency world (IDEO, 2x4). About half of the team is based in the Bay Area, and half is distributed across California, Washington, Oregon, Maryland, Texas and New York — so we operate in a creatively distributed-friendly way.
Want to know more about us?
Our company values
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.