Do you want to lead teams of experienced mission-driven software engineers who are transforming education? Khan Academy is on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Today, over 15 million learners and teachers around the world use Khan Academy each month, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.
We’re looking for an experienced engineering leader to drive the “top end” of our product stack - the teams delivering components of the learning experience, tools for our content creators, and front-end infrastructure. You will partner with colleagues in design and product management to lead development of world class learning experiences for learners and teachers everywhere. In this role you will report to the VP of Engineering and will build, enable, empower, and develop teams of deeply-motivated, diverse, outstanding engineers. You will partner with architects and other technical leaders in the engineering team to make sure our product architecture, performance, and quality meet the needs of our users, and that our engineers are empowered and supported with tools and processes to efficiently deliver amazing user experiences. You are a respected technical leader, a collaborative problem-solver, and you help align vision across the organization. You are passionate about delivering great learning experiences and will dive into deeply understanding pedagogy to help develop an additive point of view.
- A desire to change the world
- At least seven years of experience managing teams of software engineers and managers
- A strong technical leadership background and track record of creating and managing high-performing teams
- An outstanding track record of delivering results
- A track record of leading teams in delivering products using effective product development processes that you can teach
- The ability to motivate and drive a talented, creative, and technical team
- Strong communication skills, both spoken and written — a history of blogging or essay-writing is helpful
- To command technical respect — you can dive into technical discussions and deeply understand and influence the decision making process
- To excel at giving and receiving feedback
- Passion for helping others succeed
- Authorization to work in the US
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well
- Highly competitive salaries and annual performance incentives
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant – we treat new hires like co-founders
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume below
- In the space provided below, please briefly describe why you are interested in Khan Academy and our mission.
- In the space provided below, address the following prompt: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- KA Engineering blog
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.