Do you want to lead teams of experienced mission-driven software engineers who are transforming education? Khan Academy is on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. Today, over 15 million learners and teachers around the world use Khan Academy each month, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.
What you’ll be doing:
We’re looking for an experienced engineering leader to drive the “top end” of our product stack - the teams delivering components of the learning experience, tools for our content creators, and front-end infrastructure. You will partner with colleagues in design and product management to lead development of world class learning experiences for learners and teachers everywhere. In this role you will report to the VP of Engineering and will build, enable, empower, and develop teams of deeply-motivated, diverse, outstanding engineers. You will partner with architects and other technical leaders in the engineering team to make sure our product architecture, performance, and quality meet the needs of our users, and that our engineers are empowered and supported with tools and processes to efficiently deliver amazing user experiences. You are a respected technical leader, a collaborative problem-solver, and you help align vision across the organization. You are passionate about delivering great learning experiences and will dive into deeply understanding pedagogy to help develop an additive point of view.
What we’re looking for:
A desire to change the world
A strong technical leader with broad experience building and leading high-performing, passionate teams
An outstanding track record of delivering results using awesome processes that you can teach
The ability to motivate and grow diverse, creative, and highly skilled engineering teams
Strong communication skills, both spoken and written — a history of blogging or essay-writing is helpful
Ability to deeply understand technical issues and influence the decision making process
To excel at giving and receiving feedback
Passion for helping others succeed
At least seven years of experience managing teams of software engineers and managers
Authorization to work in the US
You can read about our latest work on our Engineering Blog. A few highlights:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- Flexible work and time-off schedules to encourage work-family balance and holidays
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus lots of snacks and beverages
- Great location: short walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We have a preference for this candidate to work from our office in Mountain View, CA; but for the right candidate and fit, we are open to remote arrangements.
- Awesome team events, on-sites and off-sites, company parties and BBQs, and weekly board game nights
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to improve real lives and the opportunity to work on high-impact software and programs that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where parents, Black and Latinx, women and gender minorities, and LGBT+ identified folks support one another
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume below
In the space provided below, please briefly describe why you are interested in Khan Academy and our mission.
In the space provided below, address the following prompt: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- You Can Learn Anything: https://www.khanacademy.org/youcanlearnanything
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.