Are you passionate about software quality? Do you think like an analyst, care passionately about getting it right first time, and view coding with the eyes of a high-energy perfectionist? – join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
At Khan Academy we've reinventing QA. For us, the difference between making good software and making great software is our Software Quality Engineers. Not to be confused with traditional QAs or testers, our Quality Engineers are the guardians of the quality of our codebase and the automation that allows for true continuous deployment. In simple terms, testing at Khan Academy is performed by everyone – the opposite of other companies, where a QA’s job is to find bugs on a developer’s behalf.
We’re fun, quirky people that come from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes people from Google, Apple, Facebook, Mozilla, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups. Khan Academy attracts talent from some of the top organizations in the Bay Area; our team includes individuals who attended private universities and community colleges, as well as folks who didn't graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but strong team, deeply invested in your future.
More about you:
- You will be passionate about building, developing and retaining a high-performing, balanced team of experienced Quality engineers, and create an environment where they can flourish and succeed.
- You'll also be excited to achieve high-reaching quality and development speed improvement goals, within time and within budget.
- You will assist with building the long-term Quality roadmap for all Khan Academy’s product components.
- You’ll take point on quality-related decisions through sophisticated, data-backed business cases offering compelling options.
- You will promote, define, refine and implement continuous innovation in QA processes.
You will also have most of following:
- Expert knowledge of service quality - eradicating, preventing, detecting and mitigating quality risks.
- A passion for risk management - identifying high risk/high reward opportunities and betting boldly, but not recklessly, on them.
- A keen interest in recruitment - sourcing and recruiting the best talent for QA via outbound and inbound channels.
- Validated experience in team leadership - being a visible role model for the Quality Engineers in getting things done, meeting your own goals and commitments, and helping your team to grow, develop and hit their individual goals.
- Great skills in relationship management - fostering and maintaining strong relationships with partners, product family collaborators, managers and cross-functional leaders.
- Knowledge of process improvements - improving quality, efficiency and independence in teams through process experimentation and validation.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent degree
- 5+ years experience as a software test engineer covering all aspects of testing and test automation for enterprise class products and/or applications
- 3+ years experience as a hands-on software test engineering manager
- Experience testing products/applications with distributed system and cloud architectures
- Comfortable with Web or Mobile testing methodologies
We offer the following benefits:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our team well!
- The opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses.
- Ample paid time off as needed. We’ll support you in maintaining a healthy life-work balance.
- Delicious catered lunch every day, plus tons of snacks and beverages.
- An inclusive, excited, and friendly team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant.
- A great location – we’re only 0.5 miles from the Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We also pay for remote employees to fly out a few times a year, and our San Francisco dwellers are encouraged to work from home a few days a week to save the commute time.
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights.
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life.
As an organization and as individuals, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, medical conditions, genetic information, disability, or Veteran status. We strongly encourage all candidates to complete the EEOC questions below so that we can continue to monitor our processes and ensure we are creating an environment that allows candidates to feel comfortable and display their best selves across many lines of difference.