Khan Academy is looking for passionate software engineers to help change education – join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’ve built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Mozilla, Pixar, and Intuit, as well as folks from tiny startups and developers from non-traditional backgrounds. Together, we’re a team that is deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
What you'll do?
As a member of the KA Infrastructure/DevOps organization, you will collaborate with the Software Product Development teams to develop automation software and management tools that enable deployment automation, configuration, scaling, high availability and production readiness of our Cloud infrastructure across multiple data centers.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Design, code, test and deploy Khan Academy cloud infrastructure services and nodes used to support the development and operations of our cutting edge product development teams using Python, Node and Docker containers.
- Implement automation to perform the day to day systems operations functions of the cloud platform using open source configuration tools such as Puppet, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes and CI/CD tools such Jenkins and Github
- Implement collaboration features via Slack bots
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to the cloud platform; implement long term fixes and automation to avoid repeat failures in the future.
- Participate in on-call rotations with platform team for platform related services.
Who are you?
You are a Senior Engineer passionate about DevOps and creating deployment automation that enable the automated configuration, management and scalability of Cloud and infrastructure processes.
The minimum requirements for this role are as follows;
- BS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience) plus 5 years of experience or MS in Computer Science with 3 years of previous experience as a DevOps Engineer, Cloud Operations, SRE, Services Engineer, Systems Engineer of Software Engineer interested in creating software to automate systems and processes.
- Experience with open source technologies such as Docker, Memcache, Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc
- Experience in one or more development languages of Python, Ruby, Java, or Go
- Expert shell programmer (Bourne, csh, ksh, etc)
- Good networking skills and familiarity with Unix/Linux systems including CLI used in checking component status and logs.
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery processes
- Oral and written communication skills, comfortable communicating with groups of people when needed
- Cloud enabling technology (using IaaS and PaaS) experience desirable
- Excitement about helping Khan Academy bring a free, world-class education to the world.
- Eagerness to learn, educate, write code, and build products used by millions of learners and teachers.
- Experience building and maintaining complex software. You’ll join us in writing clean, maintainable software that solves hard problems. You’ll write testable, quality code. You’ll push the team and the mission forward with your contributions.
- Experience building highly scalable web services and working with distributed, eventually-consistent databases.
- Strong communication, thoughtfulness, and desire to give and receive regular feedback
- Empathy for learners around the world. You love learning and are excited about helping others learn to love learning. You’re motivated to learn new things and share what you learn with the world.
We offer the following benefits:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our team well!
- The opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses.
- Ample paid time off as needed. We’ll support you in maintaining a healthy life-work balance.
- Delicious catered lunch every day, plus tons of snacks and beverages.
- An inclusive, excited, and friendly team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant.
- A great location – we’re only 0.5 miles from the Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We also pay for remote employees to fly out a few times a year, and our San Francisco dwellers are encouraged to work from home a few days a week to save the commute time.
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights.
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life.
Why Khan Academy?
As an organization and as individuals, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, medical conditions, genetic information, disability, or Veteran status. We strongly encourage all candidates to complete the EEOC questions below so that we can continue to monitor our processes and ensure we are creating an environment that allows candidates to feel comfortable and display their best selves across many lines of difference.