We want engineers who are passionate about making the internet a better place.
Kevel is a cloud-based service for building custom, ad serving solutions quickly and easily. We are looking for a talented Data Engineer with 5+ years of experience to join our core reporting & analytics team.
Location: UK - Remote. All applicants must be eligible to work anywhere within the United Kingdom. All applicants who are located and eligible to work anywhere within the UK are encouraged to apply!
What you’ll accomplish:
- Build core infrastructure used by the data pipelines and reporting services
- Contribute to data engineering efforts to evolve our pipelines and data lakes from batch processing to streaming/lambda architecture, to provide near real-time reporting capabilities
- Build full-stack (front-end and back-end) applications that power Kevel’s reporting functions, including writing tests and setting up CI/CD pipelines
- Drive discovery and extract insights from internal data sources. Help drive the direction of system innovation.
- Contribute to the creation of reporting back end and front end applications used by internal, as well as external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the core engineering team to transition discoveries and capabilities into production systems. These systems need to provide the scalability, reliability, security, and performance that our global customers require.
- Work closely with the product management team to help design and build new features powered by data-driven insights.
- Work closely with our customer success teams to deliver value and drive growth.
Skills you’ll bring with you:
- Experience building computational/data pipelines designed specifically for the cloud.
- Amazon Web Services experience, including Redshift, Kinesis, EMR lambdas, S3, AWS CI/CD services (CodeBuild, CodePipeline, etc.), EC2, RDS
- Event stream processing experience (Kafka, Kafka Streams, Kinesis), as well as Spark
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code tools (CDK, CloudFormation, Terraform)
- Programming experience in Clojure, TypeScript is a plus.
- Experience working with columnar (Redshift) and relational databases. Experience with lambda architecture/time series stores like Apache Druid or Pinot is a plus.
- Experience with front-end and back-end application frameworks is a plus
- HTTP-based API experience
- Monitoring and operations experience
You would be a member of an engineering team that values:
- Constant improvement. If your processes have a way to improve themselves, you’ll never be stuck in a rut. We hold retros, and we value and protect the ability of any team member to say, “This can and should be better.” We value experimentation, especially when coupled with measurement.
- Balance. We’re a collaborative team. We kick ideas around. The more viewpoints we have, the more likely we are to hear a good idea we haven’t thought of. We all have the opportunity to work on all parts of the system. No one is stuck working on the legacy systems full time.
- Working to live, not living to work. We take our work seriously. We strive to make the best software we can for our clients. Software is a marathon, not a sprint. We work hard, but at a sustainable pace, and do better work as a result.
- Autonomy. One of our core values as a company is, “We’re all adults.” We do code reviews and sometimes we pair program, but we trust each other. If you thought about the problem and have an opinion, your teammates will listen.
- Mastery. Our CEO started out as a software engineer. Our VP of Engineering writes Clojure. We have an engineering team with decades of collective experience writing high-quality, fault-tolerant distributed systems. We love taking on and solving hard problems. We love learning.
- A sense of purpose. We know what problem we’re trying to solve: to provide a first-rate ad serving platform to our global customers while continuing to evolve our product to meet the needs of the future.
Why you’ll love working with us:
- You will be part of an inclusive and collaborative team environment where all opinions and values are heard.
- We operate remotely. We are a fully distributed team across the US and UK.
- You’ll receive world-class benefits including:
- 100% company-paid health, vision, and dental insurance for you and your family.
- Paid parental leave benefits (12 weeks paid maternity, 4 weeks paid paternity)
- Free press benefits
- 401k (with 4% company match)
- Unlimited vacation (with total support to take at least 5 consecutive days off per year)
- 8 Paid Holidays + Kevel Holiday Break (office closed 12/24 - 1/1 every year!)
- Flexible schedules (you decide when and where you work best)
- You’ll work with an award-winning team! We’ve won numerous Best Places to Work Awards for several years and counting! We’ve also won many awards for our Innovation, Business Intelligence, and our best-in-class products (Software of the Year, Cloud Company of the Year, Best Ad Tech, and API Innovator).
- We embrace transparency and encourage you to read more about what we value through our Company Constitution and Employee Bill of Rights, our About Kevel page, and Careers Page.
Kevel (previously Adzerk) offers the infrastructure APIs needed to quickly build custom ad platforms for sponsored listings, internal promotions, native ads, and more. We are committed to helping publishers drive new revenue and take back the Internet from ad tech giants like Google, Amazon, and Facebook.
Kevel is based in Durham, NC with locations in San Francisco and London. We embrace remote working culture with over half of our team working outside of Durham, spread across the United States and the United Kingdom. Kevel is proud to be an inclusive workplace with one goal in common — we want to make the internet a better place.
As one of our core values, Kevel is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide Diversity & Inclusion Training for all of our employees and hold ourselves accountable to creating a truly inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.