We want engineers who are passionate about making the internet a better place.
Kevel is a cloud-based service for building custom ad serving solutions quickly and easily. We are looking for our first Site Reliability Engineer (with 5-10 years experience) to join our growing team! This is a rare opportunity to be our first SRE who will own improvements to our existing structure and own our systems moving forward as we scale to our next level of growth!
What you’ll accomplish:
- Develop techniques and practices to better manage platform operations as we continue to scale globally
- Work with the rest of the engineering team to improve key quality attributes: reduce latency, increase reliability and availability, improve security, etc.
- Improve deployment automation
- Monitor AWS costs and drive reduction on an ongoing basis
- Help diagnose issues when they arise, working with the rest of the team to address them
- Document and refine incident response process, and lead after incident debriefing
- Document operational practices and procedures
Skills you’ll bring with you:
- Building and/or operating complex distributed systems with a global footprint
- Diagnosing performance issues in such systems, backed by solid evidence
- Low-level Linux system administration, e.g., tuning network stacks for performance
- Amazon Web Services, including EC2, S3, DynamoDB, RDS, Kinesis, EFS, Redshift, SQS and Lambdas.
- AWS Cost reporting, management and forecasting
You would be a member of an engineering team that values:
- Constant improvement. If your processes have a way to improve themselves, you’ll never be stuck in a rut. We hold retros, and we value and protect the ability of any team member to say, “This can and should be better.” We value experimentation, especially when coupled with measurement.
- Balance. We’re a collaborative team. We kick ideas around. The more viewpoints we have, the more likely we are to hear a good idea we haven’t thought of. We all have the opportunity to work on all parts of the system. No one is stuck working on the legacy systems full time.
- Working to live, not living to work. We take our work seriously. We strive to make the best software we can for our clients. But we know that “release death marches” are not the way to achieve this. Software is a marathon, not a sprint. We work hard, but at a sustainable pace, and do better work as a result.
- Autonomy. One of our core values as a company is, “We’re all adults.” We do code reviews and sometimes we pair program, but we trust each other. If you thought about the problem and have an opinion, your teammates will listen.
- Mastery. Our CEO started out as a software engineer. Our VP of Engineering writes Clojure. We have an engineering team with decades of collective experience writing high-quality, fault-tolerant distributed systems. We love taking on and solving hard problems. We love learning.
- A sense of purpose. We know what problem we’re trying to solve: to provide a first-rate ad serving platform to our global customers while continuing to evolve our product to meet the needs of the future.
Why you’ll love working with us:
- You will be part of an inclusive and collaborative team environment where all opinions and values are heard.
- We are operate remotely. We are a fully distributed team across the US and UK.
- You’ll receive world class benefits including:
- 100% company paid health, vision, and dental for you and your family.
- Paid parental leave benefits (12 weeks paid maternity, 4 weeks paid paternity)
- Free press benefits
- 401k (with 4% company match)
- Unlimited vacation (with total support to take at least 5 consecutive days off per year)
- 8 Paid Holidays + Kevel Holiday Break (office closed 12/24 - 1/1 every year!)
- Flexible schedules (you decide when and where you work best)
- We embrace transparency and encourage you to read more about what we value through our Company Constitution and Employee Bill of Rights, our About Kevel page, and Careers Page.
Kevel has been helping brands take back the internet since 2009. Kevel (previously Adzerk) offers the infrastructure APIs needed to quickly build custom ad platforms for sponsored listings, internal promotions, native ads, and more. We are committed to helping publishers drive new revenue and take back the Internet from ad tech giants like Google, Amazon, and Facebook.
Kevel is based in Durham, NC with locations in San Francisco and London. We embrace remote working culture with over half of our team working outside of Durham, spread across the United States and United Kingdom. Kevel is proud to be an inclusive workplace with one goal in common — we want to make the internet a better place.
As one of our core values, Kevel is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide Diversity & Inclusion Training for all of our employees and hold ourselves accountable to creating a truly inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.