Kernal is creating mRNA drugs that instruct specific cells in the body on how to make their own medicine. We're seeking a highly motivated computational biologist for a full-time, summer internship in synthetic biology to support the development of mRNA 2.0 therapeutics for immuno-oncology applications. The ideal candidate will play a critical role in reinforcing and expanding our mRNA 2.0 platform for the development of cancer cell specific ("onco-selective") mRNA therapies. Candidates with proven wet lab skills, strong team spirit, and an unquenchable thirst for learning new methods and solving challenging problems will be preferred.
What You’ll Do
- Perform vector construction and validation including relevant quality controls
- Synthesize mRNA products an purify for preclinical studies
- Analyze mRNA product quality via Nanodrop, Bioanalyzer, HPLC, etc.
- Perform routine molecular biology tasks such as PCR, cloning, cell culture, ELISA, in vitrotranscription,
- Optimize the mRNA production and purification processes
- Perform routine Mammalian cell culture, transfection, Fluorescence flow cytometry
- Culture diverse mammalian cell lines and primary cells
- Analyze, summarize, and present experimental results to team members and management
- Participate in experimental design and troubleshooting efforts
- Interpret, summarize experimental data and maintain excellent laboratory notebooks
What You’ll Bring To The Table
- BS Candidate in Biology, Biochemistry, Systems Biology, or Molecular Biology
- At least one semester/summer of academic or industry experience in molecular biology
- Experience in molecular cloning including PCR, restriction enzyme cloning, Golden Gate, Gibson assembly, PCR-based assembly, etc.
- Proficiency in qPCR, western blotting, ELISA
- Experience with cell and tissue culture using sterile technique is preferred
- Familiarity with nucleic acid purification using HPLC or FPLC, analysis of protein expression and gene reporter systems with various techniques as confocal microscopy, flow cytometry, cell luminescence, imagine systems and quantitative data analysis
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong communication skills
- Excellent record keeping and data management skills
- Prefer experience working in fast-paced startup environments
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity and a passion for learning
- Integrity, approaching tasks with efficiency, organization
- Ability to analyze, summarize and communicate scientific data
- Ability to work independently while effectively interacting and collaborating in a team environment
Kernal is dedicated to providing a diverse work environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in employment practices for reasons of race, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, religion, disability, or any other legally protected status. Kernal will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.