Immediate opening for a strong Proofreader to join our ranks in NY.
We are looking for a seasoned candidate to lend their editorial expertise to a wide variety of project materials, reviewing all content for accuracy, clarity and consistency of formatting. Oversight includes correct spelling, grammar and punctuation but also may require querying copywriters and art directors for direction on message intent. This individual will be responsible for noting/questioning artwork, layout and production issues too. In addition, this person will partner with other Copy Editor + Proofreader team members to handle multiple projects and will be responsible for prioritization of work to meet tight deadlines.
This individual will be responsible for proofreading materials at every stage of production, including preliminary copy draft, design/layout, and final printer proof stages. They will also touch Digital assets such as emails and Web pages/microsites and internal corporate presentations. In addition to reading for typographical errors and for text variance from the client-approved copy, the Proofreader must ensure all documents reflect Standard English grammar and individual client style and branding guidelines. Checklists and standard proofreading marks are used for proofreading passes to ensure that all items are examined thoroughly and marked consistently.
(if you've found errors in this posting... our Proofreader role could be for you!!)
- Proofread using the Proofreader's checklists and Proofreader Marks guide
- Identify inconsistencies and inaccuracies in documents.
- Ensure continuity throughout each client’s work, including strict adherence to client style and branding guidelines and regulatory requirements. Relay modifications to internal resources throughout project life cycle
- Work under pressure and recognize the criticality of meeting stringent deadlines
- Adhere to pre-established guidelines and specific instructions and training to perform the functions of the job
- Interact and collaborate with team of proofreaders and other agency departments to review job procedures and communicate client style and branding updates
- Ensure adherence to agency deadlines and communicate status when needed
- Keep abreast of and record changes to company and client style and branding guidelines, legal requirements, and specifications and format
- Train other proofreaders when necessary in The KERN Agency style and specifications
DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES & SKILLS:
- Perform a quality-control check at indicated rounds, making sure all changes were made, all queries were addressed, job contents and components are accurate, etc
- Research any discrepancies that arise in proofreading projects and identify reliable sources for solutions
- Work independently, keeping pace with workload and daily deadline demands
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Must be able to communicate in a clear and precise manner
- Provide verbal feedback in a professional manner
- Must be able to analyze many variables and choose the most effective course of action for the organization at any given point in time
- Must be able to handle novel and diverse work problems on a daily basis
- Must be able to analyze causes of interpersonal conflict and resolve complex communications issues (i.e., undefined roles, objective, and information gaps)
- Proficient in Windows, Word, Excel and Proof HQ software
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE + QUALIFICATIONS
- 3+ years of heavy proofreading experience across multiple channels: print, digital, direct, social etc.
- Marketing/Advertising agency environment required
- 2+ years experience on Financial Services, Telco or Insurance accounts a HUGE plus!
- Solid command of the English language
- Bilingual (written) abilities is a HUGE plus!
- Mastery of The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition, and The Associated Press Stylebook is necessary
- Basic knowledge of page layout and design is nice to have
- Bachelor's degree in English or Communications is highly preferred