Since day one our product teams has put together a product our customers love while running 100 miles an hour. We love the grind, but like with most start-up stories – our initial focus was solving specific customer pains and finding a good market fit rather than building a solid and scalable design system from day one. We wouldn't change this decision, we got where we are today because of it. But as the company have grown and now spread across the whole world, the need to ensure consistency, cohesion and quality is needed more than ever. We want to work smarter.
This is where you come in. You get sad when you see someone 'Detach from Symbol' in Sketch instead of working with the component library files. You're wondering why someone prototypes something in code but throws out the code when it needs to be built for real. You cringe when you see a developer using the colour picker on the edge of some anti-aliased text.
But beyond that you want to see designers and engineers bringing solutions to customers at a consistent and healthy pace. Enabling them to focus on the right things, rather than the things that are supposed to be simple. Building and maintaining a great design system is a huge part of improving the way we work.
This role is in our Cambridge, Massachusetts office. From here you will be working with a global team of Product Managers, Engineers and Designers
- Ability to gain a deep understanding of how our design and engineering disciplines go about their work of building products.
- Ability to design and build tooling, documentation, and workflows to enable these disciplines to work smarter.
- Strong visual and interaction design skills.
- Strong grasp on web and mobile standards and accessibility.
- Ability to drive and manage collaboration with other members of the design and engineering teams so that our design system feels like a companywide effort.
- Have already tried implementing and maintaining a product design system across multiple platforms.
- 'Systems Thinking' of how to approach design and each of the areas it impacts, both now and in the potential future.
- The ability to direct, drive, and evolve the project inside an ever growing and experimenting company.
- Basic working knowledge of front-end development.
- Push our engineering limits (in the right way).
- Have an analytical mind about the impact of your work.
- Actively involved in the design community.
- Have strong working knowledge of front-end development.
Your colleagues say you
- Have strong communication skills: both internally and externally.
- Are good at managing your time through prioritizing.
- Are a good person to have a coffee with (virtual coffee is also a thing!)
- Can actually explain to them what a design system is.
At KAYAK we help millions of travelers around the globe make confident travel decisions. KAYAK searches other sites to show travelers the information they need to find the right flights, hotels, rental cars and vacation packages and is the world's leading travel search engine.
As an employee of KAYAK, you will be part of a global network that includes OpenTable and KAYAK's portfolio of metasearch brands including Swoodoo, checkfelix, momondo, Cheapflights, Mundi and HotelsCombined. Many employees are dedicated to one brand, but we all have the benefit of using each others strengths and insights. Together, we're able to help people experience the world through dining and travel.
KAYAK is part of Booking Holdings Inc. and operates sites in more than 60 countries and territories.
Benefits and Perks
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- Day off on your birthday
- Generous retirement plans
- Awesome health, dental and vision insurance plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- No stupid meetings
- Drinks, coffee, snacks, games etc.
- Weekly catered lunches
- Flexible hours
- Free massages from a professional massage therapist
- Regular team events/excursions
- Universal Paid Parental leave
KAYAK is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees – no matter their race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Whoever you are, just be you