This role is fully remote, we set a location because some job boards require it.
We are looking for a Senior Frontend Engineer to work with our External team, responsible for all the user-facing systems our guests and internal team interface with. The role is full-time and remote. You'll be an employee of our Hungarian subsidiary along with 20+ local teammates.
You'll work on our website, our Identity Verification app, and our Virtual Front Desk including virtual check-in. You'll touch the whole user journey including pre-and post-booking.
About the Engineering Team
Our Product & Engineering team is split between Hungary and San Francisco. Our engineers have diverse backgrounds in hospitality, consulting, real estate, and technology. Everyone joined Kasa because they are passionate about building a platform that delivers value to landlords and serves guests seeking trustworthy, well-priced accommodations in great locations. We run an agile 2-week sprint development process and consider a strong culture-add not just a fit, but a requirement. Our team is comprised of four pods:
- KFC (Kasa Financials and Channels): building the data and financial platform to power our operations & technology at scale
- Kontrol: building an industry defining property management system
- External: creating seamless digital experiences for guests
- Access and IoT: enabling stress-free check-ins and comfortable stays to with technology
Day in the life of a Kasa Senior Frontend Engineer
Like any Software Engineer, there is no ‘typical day’. We like to sync every day with our San Francisco coworkers in the form of stand-ups or other agile ceremonies like grooming and planning. The rest of the day tends to be free-form and highly dependent on your responsibilities. You'll have your individual tasks as well as collaborate over Zoom with a team of designers, PMs, and engineers to solve complex business problems.
Overall, you are expected to uphold and improve on our high engineering standards. You will not only hone your software engineering skills, but also collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to understand business problems, gather requirements, and design technical solutions. We hope you’re excited by the challenges in developing the future of hospitality tech!
Our tech stack
- We use SCSS with BEM style naming, occasionally we use Tailwind and Buefy
- We use Jest and Cypress for testing
- Our codebase is managed on Github
- The designers create the mockups and prototypes in Figma
- 6+ years of frontend/full-stack web engineering experience, with at least 3+ years in a senior role
- Knowledge about accessibility, performance, and basic technical SEO best practices
- Firm semantic HTML and up-to-date (S)CSS skills
- Experience with agile methodologies and rapid iteration cycles, working in CI/CD environments
- Ability to take on full ownership of the product; you are fully empowered and required to make decisions across the stack
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and spoken
- Use English self-confidently as a working language
- You are able and excited to travel once a year to San Francisco
- Travel is part of your DNA and you have a passion for the real estate, tech, and hospitality industry
- You've worked in a high-growth startup environment
- Passion for sharing knowledge, mentoring code and improving engineering processes
In one year, you will succeed at Kasa by having:
- Improved our code quality by writing elegant, well-tested, readable, and maintainable code
- Increased our Core Web Vitals score across all our guest facing products
- Contributed to our in-house component library
- Improved the guest experience with innovative features in our booking portal
- Helped our user-interfaces be more inclusive in terms of supported capabilities
- Investigated and introduced open source technologies that allow us to grow and scale for the future
- 🌏 Remote Work: With flexibility as a core value, and over three-quarters of the team working remotely, Kasa employees are able to work from anywhere!
- ✈ Kasa Travel Credit: We love to travel! Kasa employees get an allowance of free stays with us in any of our locations, plus a 50% discount on any nights for friends and family.
- 📈 Generous Stock Option Plan: We believe the success of our business should be shared with our team. As you grow with us, we increase the opportunities for you to become part-owners of our company.
- 💰 Competitive Salary: We offer base salaries at or above market rates plus additional earning opportunities based on the position.
- 🙌 Flexible PTO: Full-time exempt Kasa employees are encouraged to take time off as they need and see fit, ensuring that it's not disruptive to their work.
- 💻 Top-of-the-line notebook: Kasa provides you with a notebook from the latest Macbook or Lenovo lines.
- 🏠 Home office upgrade budget: We provide you with a one time 200,000 HUF budget to upgrade your home office equipment after you join Kasa.
- 🌭 Trip to San Francisco: We'll fully cover a week-long trip to SF to meet your teammates after your first quarter with us.
- 👶 Family-friendly: We provide an additional 15 days of paid leave for secondary caregivers. Our flexible working hours enable you to design work-life harmony on your own terms.
Who We Are
Kasa is building a global accommodations brand unlike any other. We took the best that hotels and short-term rentals had to offer and created a new class of hospitality that is well priced, trustworthy, and that offers a large selection of great locations. Our guests enjoy seamless check-ins, spacious apartments, and attractive amenities, helping them feel right at home. If anything comes up, our remote guest experience team is available 24/7, ensuring our hospitality is always felt, though rarely seen.
Behind the scenes, we build technology that combines with our innovative operations to grow a globally scalable offering that delivers high-quality stays. Our products and systems unlock unparalleled flexibility to operate anywhere from a few Kasa to a few hundred Kasas in any type of building, in just about any location. We currently have Kasas in over 17 states and are expanding into new markets all the time.
All of this is made possible by our team members, each of whom plays a critical role in fulfilling our vision and mission. We strive to foster a culture that values feedback, support, and collaboration throughout the organization. As a remote-first company, we work hard to bridge the gap of distance through initiatives that foster connection across Kasa. A few examples include lively All-Hands meetings, department get-togethers (online and in-person), and teamwide celebrations of important milestones. We offer benefits that encourage team members to stay at Kasa properties to experience our product firsthand and meet local team members when nearby. Guests are crucial to Kasa’s mission. Accordingly, every new Kasa team member gets trained in our Guest Experience Akademy during their onboarding.
Our team is fortunate to have diverse backgrounds, personalities, and experiences united by a commitment to excellence and passion for our industry. If Kasa’s vision and culture speak to you, and you’re up for the challenge of building a company on the cutting edge of real estate, we would love to have you on our team!