Senior Product Designer (Remote)
Karuna Health is looking for a skilled and values-driven product designer to join us in our mission to transform how patients interact with the healthcare system. Karuna's software empowers patients to stay in touch with their care teams using the same channels they already use with friends and family. It also helps complex care teams seamlessly keep track of patient communications and build authentic relationships to drive better outcomes. We are currently working on tools to help expand the scope of tracking and coordinating communication at the scale of tens of millions of people, solving industry problems that have long been considered unsolvable.
As a team, we’re committed to:
- Making sure our impact on patients is positive and measurable
- Investing in each other’s growth, both professionally and personally
- Braving uncertainty, and providing space to make and learn from our mistakes
- Transparency in our relationships with each other, our customers, and our investors
- Keeping patient privacy and security top of mind
- Building a culture that combines collaboration and ownership
If these values match the kind of company you’re looking for, and you’re excited to invest your time and talents with a group that is reshaping healthcare communications, we can’t wait to hear from you!
We also want you to know that you can be a great candidate even if you don't perfectly fit the mold we describe below, and you can have important skills we haven't even thought of yet. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are a small team, and as we grow, we care deeply about building a workforce and culture that is inclusive and equitable for people of all backgrounds and experiences. Because of this, we particularly encourage people from communities that tend to be underrepresented to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQIA people, veterans, and those with disabilities.
What you’ll be doing
- Creating user flows, wireframes, mockups, style guides, and reusable components that will drive the UX and UI of Karuna’s products
- Collaborating closely with a cross-functional product team of product management, design, and engineering on a mix of greenfield product development and improvements to our existing product suite
- Setting quality standards for—and helping facilitate the production of—all design work for the company, from branding to slide decks and whitepapers
- Contributing to a product- and design-centric company culture
- Helping shape the team as we grow by being a core part of future hiring processes
What the first three to six months will look like
- Leading the process of designing user flows and user interfaces for an ambitious new greenfield product for a major customer
- Helping us review and improve the user experience and user interfaces for our current product
- Learning about the health space and our customers, and getting to understand their workflows, their pain points, and how we deliver value
- Working with the product team to rapidly iterate on features and functionality for existing customers
- Meeting with everyone at the company to understand how our work fits together
What you need to be successful
- Experience designing flows and interfaces for applications that can be used across desktop and mobile modalities
- Experience working on applications that support and enhance pre-existing workflows
- Experience working directly with product managers and engineers in an iterative, collaborative environment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- In equal measure:
- Passion for creating thoughtful, intentional, and beautiful designs
- Openness to feedback and compromise, and ability to dispassionately help deliver the best possible solution for a set of evolving constraints
- A desire to invest in your teammates and be open with your knowledge and expertise; in particular, an ability and willingness to facilitate and elevate design conversations with non-designers
- An approach of constant learning and curiosity, with a focus on growth and improving your craft over time
- Empathy for your colleagues on and off the product team, and for the people whose lives are affected by your work
- Enthusiasm for designing high quality software experiences that can meaningfully improve lives
Our product tech stack and the tools we use
Our current design library lives in Figma projects.
Our customers use both desktop web and mobile clients, built in-house using React and React Native, respectively. Our backend APIs are written in Ruby on Rails.
We use LogRocket and Mixpanel extensively to help provide qualitative and quantitative visibility into how people are using our products.
More about us
Our team works together remotely (like most folks, we use Zoom and Slack extensively), but is primarily located in the San Francisco Bay Area. We’re excited to keep investing in excellent remote work culture and the flexibility it can provide.
We are a high-growth digital health company backed by first-class investors including First Round Capital, Slow Ventures, Founder Collective, and Lerer Hippeau. We’re happy to be supported by the same people who have helped other startups redefine their industries. We are working with and solving problems for some of the most influential health organizations in the world.
- Company subsidized health insurance, flexible spending account, dental plan, vision plan, and commuter benefits
- Company provided 401k (via Human Interest) for you to contribute to your retirement
- Unlimited PTO that is actively used and encouraged, and flexible work hours
- $1,000 budget (on top of standard laptop and equipment) to make your home work environment a comfortable, happy place
- $1,000 annual budget for professional development expenses, including conference attendance, books, and online or in-person courses
- Weekly reimbursable team lunches
- Access to career development and mentorship from our network of investors and partners