Karbon is the premium work management platform for the accounting industry and has become indispensable for firms around the world to support their team and navigate the sudden shift to remote work. Karbon brings planning, clients, work, and communication together in one place where it belongs, so even if the firm has to work remotely, they're all together online.
Founded in San Francisco, we have grown into a globally distributed team with people in the Bay Area, Seattle, San Diego, Reno, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. We are well-funded, have a fantastic team culture, are growing rapidly, and making a global impact. Learn more about us at karbonhq.com.
Karbon is looking for an experienced Design Systems Designer to join our top-quality Product Design team to help invent the future of the Karbon product. We are about to tackle some really big things and need experienced end-to-end designers with the full suite of UX, UI, and visual design skills to make it happen — if this sounds like you, let's talk.
About this role
You will work closely with the Design and Engineering teams to design, develop, and communicate the Karbon design system and facilitate its adoption across the platform. The design system will enable efficient delivery of a consistent and premium user experience across Karbon's products, and you will be the key driver of its success.
You will engage with stakeholders, assess problems, take ownership, find solutions, and see things through to delivery with autonomy. You will communicate clearly with your colleagues and lend a helping hand when needed.
Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Defining the design system, UI components, and interaction patterns to enable the Design and Engineering teams to efficiently deliver a consistent and premium user experience
- Writing documentation and providing guidance on how and why components, interaction patterns, and visual styling should be applied in all designs and code
- Collaborating with designers and engineers to understand how a component might be used and developing robust patterns to suit their needs
- Championing, communicating, and facilitating the adoption of the design system
- Collecting feedback on how the system is performing for both the internal Karbon team and end users and evolving it to be more effective
- Working closely with designers and front-end engineers to implement the system and ensure it is an efficient, maintainable, and reliable source
- Being the guardian of the brand experience in product — simplicity, usability, and quality should always be a part of your decision-making process
- Being a thoughtful and passionate voice for design
- Constantly thinking about new ways to improve the efficiency of your design process while also maintaining high design standards
- You are passionate about design systems and their ability to enable teams to deliver a better user experience
- You think in systems, how everything fits together, and have a solid understanding of how your designs can be implemented
- You understand when it's appropriate to make trade-offs on designs to achieve strategic goals
- Prior professional experience designing and managing design systems
- Top-tier UX and visual design skills
- Comfortable contributing design refinement in CSS and JS, using a framework like React or Ember
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to discuss ideas critically, contribute to strategic decisions, and are always open to adopting someone else's idea if it's better than your own
- Confidence in writing short-form content — words are design, too
Why work at Karbon?
- Standard 5 week vacation (annual leave for our aussie mates) for all employees globally
- 2 Karbon Calm Days - to take some time out to chill whenever they are needed
- Opportunity to be part of building a global product
- Competitive salary
- True ownership and autonomy over the work you do
- Work with (and learn from) a very experienced team
- Be part of a startup team that will continue to grow around you
- Flexible approach to work environment (we believe in trust and autonomy)
- A culture of open communication, consistent feedback, and full transparency into company results, metrics, and financial position