Karbon is the premium work management platform for the accounting industry and has become indispensable for firms around the world to support their team and navigate the sudden shift to remote work. Karbon brings planning, clients, work, and communication together in one place where it belongs, so even if the firm has to work remotely, they're all together online.
Founded in San Francisco, we have grown into a globally distributed team with people in the Bay Area, Seattle, San Diego, Reno, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Nelson (NZ) and the United Kingdom. We are well-funded, have a fantastic team culture, are growing rapidly, and making a global impact. Learn more about us at karbonhq.com.
Karbon is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic Business Intelligence Analyst to join our team to spearhead the development of a new intelligence platform. Are you passionate about building great products and solutions that truly meet customers' needs? If so, submit your application for our Business Intelligence Analyst role today!
About the Role
Karbon is establishing a new and exciting Business Intelligence & Analytics product range that will build upon the years of experience that we’ve gained from working with our customers and gaining a deep understanding of their needs. The leadership team has a well-considered vision for the Karbon Industry Cloud and the BI Analyst will be responsible for interpretation and implementation of that vision. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is ready to move up and take the lead role on a strategically-important project at a growing company with a wonderful culture.
Ever since software was introduced to the accounting industry, firms have always struggled to answer the critical questions with the data that they’ve been provided with. For the first time in a firm’s history, data within Karbon and from external sources can be combined to answer critical questions such as:
- How is my practice doing? What are my true margins?
- How can I drive efficiency? What are my levers for growth?
- Who are my most productive employees, and who are my most profitable clients? Which clients can I upsell into new service offerings?
- Which employees are most appreciated and valued by my clients? Does this correlate with productivity?
- Can I safely maintain service levels if I bring on more clients? Should I bring on more staff or acquire another firm?
- What fees should we charge, and are we under- or over-charging?
- Are my clients satisfied?
This next stage of Karbon’s evolution brings about a wonderful opportunity for someone with great business intelligence and business analysis skills to bring this platform to life and deliver to our customers an amazing reporting and analytics experience. Generally, development teams consider the simple happy-path scenario as "the first thin slice". Thin Slice is the simplest possible functional, usable, end-to-end slice of functionality, and being able to present a Thin Slice of the technology and data that we’re attempting to deliver to the customer would be a critical success factor to this role.
The role is the first member of this emerging team and requires leadership and the ability to hire or recommend great people to fill further roles on the team that can help bring the vision to life. Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Translating business needs into technical requirements, working closely with functional and operational excellence leads to establish requirements and key performance indicators to enable leaders to make data-driven decisions
- Providing technical and functional subject matter expertise for our BI reporting modules and associated systems
- Troubleshooting, debugging, and problem-solving technical issues in an efficient and timely fashion
- Effectively developing and documenting detailed functional specifications across the broader group that bridge both business requirements and system functionality
- Developing system process flows, logical and physical designs, use cases, and diagrams to translate user requirements into software development and package configurations
- Designing and optimising databases and tables according to business requirements and best practices (indexing, etc.)
- Overseeing and governing the expansion of existing data architecture and the optimisation of data query performance using industry best practices
Candidates with the following characteristics and experience are encouraged to apply:
- At least 5 years of experience in a functional and technical role in data analytics and business intelligence reporting
- An excellent understanding of Business Intelligence, data warehousing, dimensional modelling and data visualisation techniques
- The ability to collect and critically evaluate data from multiple sources to ensure data integrity and provenance is established and the appropriate data analysis can be performed
- Demonstrated expertise in creating front-end dashboard visualisations and reports that provide end-users with trusted data that is presented in a contemporary, intuitive and easily-accessible format
- Highly developed planning, time management and organisational skills, with the ability to manage multiple complex tasks to meet deadlines within a time-critical environment and a commitment to quality service
- Strong analytical, numeracy, and problem-solving attributes
- Extensive experience with data modeling and the implementation of RDBMS, operational data store (ODS), data marts, and data lakes
- Experience with database management systems, online analytical processing (OLAP) and ETL framework
- Knowledge of SQL queries, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python and R along with experience in presentation layers such as Power BI, Looker, and Mode Analytics
- A profound desire to learn and master different aspects of business subject matters and apply knowledge and skills gained to deliver strong, customer-focused, and effective solutions
Why work at Karbon?
- Opportunity to be part of building a global product
- Competitive salary
- True ownership and autonomy over the work you do
- Work with (and learn from) a very experienced team
- Be part of a startup team that will continue to grow around you
- Flexible approach to work environment (we believe in trust and autonomy)
- A culture of open communication, consistent feedback, and full transparency into company results, metrics, and financial position