We're Karat, the leader in technical interviewing and pioneer of the Interviewing Cloud
Karat’s purpose is to unlock opportunity, and we built the world’s first Interviewing Cloud to conduct predictive, fair, and enjoyable technical interviews 24/7. Karat helps companies expand interviewing capacity, unlock developer time, and raise engineering quality so they can hire smarter and grow faster, and create more opportunities for software engineers. From our industry-leading solutions to Karat’s Brilliant Black Minds program, the work we do here matters. We’re a team of passionate, focused, human-centric team, and we want you to join us!
Come join our Communications Team!
Karat’s Communications team is committed to building and protecting the Karat brand and communicating the impact and value of our business both internally and externally. We drive world-class communications for key audiences touching every facet of Karat’s business. As the world's largest technical interviewing company, one of our most important audiences is software developers.
What you will do
The Developer Communications Manager will support communications with our Interview Engineering community--the software developers who conduct Karat’s technical interviews. More broadly, you will support our efforts to engage and connect with developers. You will partner closely with Karat’s delivery team and developer relations leaders to ensure we are delivering messages that engage and resonate with software developers around the world. In this role you will be responsible for:
- Interview Engineering community comms (75%)
- Develop annual communications plan and OKRs for Interview Engineer comms in partnership with the Director of Community Management
- Manage overall communications to the Interview Engineering Community from Karat leadership (SVP of Delivery & CEO when needed)
- Partner with Director of Community Management to identify topics, key messages and moments that resonate favorably with the community
- Create opportunities for Interview Engineers to engage with the Karat brand in positive and enjoyable ways including Interview Engineer-focused events, meetups, and social media activities
- Review and advise on Interview Engineer newsletter content, and develop relevant content to publish on Karat social channels to drive community activation and recruitment
- Developer relations (20%)
- Support Karat’s overall focus on developer relations and leverage Interview Engineers as key stakeholders in our DevRel community
- Regularly meet and gather insights from Interview Engineers to shape our DevRel program
- Partner with Karat DevRel and social media teams to identify external opportunities for IVEs to engage on behalf of the Karat brand
- Change management and crisis comms (5%)
- Develop communications plans and key messages for specific change management and policy announcements
- Manage crisis comms needs, as they arise, and bring in leaders from Karat corporate communications team when needed
The experience you will bring
- 7+ years of work experience in tech communications, developer relations, journalism, or marketing
- Passion for improving the hiring process and deep understanding of software developer communities and culture
- Strategic thinker with an ability to empathize with partner needs and drive alignment; including experience engaging and influencing senior executives
- Experience managing crisis comms and change management cycles with internal/vendor audiences
- Comfortable working cross-functionally and representing the needs of multiple teams across the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, prioritizing clarity and brevity
- Experience working successfully in ambiguity — you are able to create clarity through quick change and partner effectively and collaborate cross-functionally
This is a full-time, salaried position. Immigration sponsorship is not available.
Karat’s HQ is based in Seattle, Washington, but our core team is distributed throughout the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom. For this position, we are considering candidates who are located within the greater United States and have posted this job description broadly with that in mind.
Benefits of joining Karat
Karat strives to offer everything you need to best support you today, tomorrow, and beyond. We’re proud of our current offerings, and highlight some of our team’s favorites below. There are more, just feel free to ask!
Compensation / Time Off:
- Highly competitive salary and stock options
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous paid PTO (see below) and Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Flexible Time Off Policy for salaried positions
- Three weeks accrued per year for hourly positions
- Global Parental Leave (16 weeks paid with additional 8 weeks transition back to work in part-time capacity)
- 20 paid Company Holidays for 2022
Benefits / Wellness:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance via Cigna or Kaiser (for CA-based employees)
- 100% premium covered for employees
- 70% premium covered for dependents
- FSA, STD, LTD, Standard Life Insurance, and Optional Life Insurance
- Mental Wellness offerings such as Calm, Happify, Talkspace, Modern Health, and more
- $150 per month contribution to miscellaneous benefit/wellness of employee’s choice
Learn more about us
Statement of Inclusivity:
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, womxn, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know at email@example.com.
Karat is an E-Verify company.