Interviewing is a universal experience, but it is no one’s full-time job
Interviews are the connective tissue between people and new career opportunities. The interview is a universal experience to get a new job, but yet, it has never been recognized as its own discipline. In fact, the vast majority of people conducting interviews receive no formal training on how to do effective interviews.
Karat is the market leader in Interview Engineering
At Karat, our mission is to make every interview predictive, fair, and enjoyable. To do so, we created and established the category of Interview Engineering.
Karat conducts technical interviews on behalf of organizations hiring software engineers. We do this through a community of Interview Engineers who are equipped with Karat's interviewing infrastructure, battle-tested questions, and data-informed best practices. The result is highly predictive and fair interviews at scale where candidates truly enjoy their experience. Karat has amassed the largest, most robust dataset of structured-interview intelligence to produce never-before-seen hiring analytics.
Founded in 2014, Karat is a privately held and venture-funded company based in Seattle. Key clients include Pinterest, Wayfair, Intuit, and Blue Cross Blue Shield. Karat is in a period of hyper-growth and tripling revenue year over year, as we realize incredible demand for our solution.
VP Marketing, Karat
To accelerate Karat’s growth, the company seeks a VP Marketing to join the company’s Executive Team in Seattle, WA.
The VP Marketing will lead the creation of a new category -- Interview Engineering. The ideal candidate will have experience in category development and building a brand for an enterprise solution with high ACVs and deep partnerships.
Karat’s impact resonates with different audiences—engineering leaders (CTOs, VPEs) can free current developers from interviews and meet their hiring goals; HR leaders access rich data about their talent pool and hiring practices; job candidates are assured a fair and professional interview experience; and Interview Engineers hone their skills and build an interviewing business on their schedule. The VP Marketing will develop strategies to engage and educate these audiences on Karat’s unique model. In doing so, our aim is to accelerate the virality and adoption of the solution as the industry standard in technical interviewing.
The VP Marketing will build and lead a team of communications, content marketing, product marketing, developer relations, events, employer brand, and integrated marketing professionals.
- Define the category of Interview Engineering through coordinated press, analyst, and marketing activities
- Accelerate Karat’s expansion into international markets and large (non-technology) enterprises
- Build a pipeline to fuel sales at Karat and report on pipeline health
- Inform the direction of Karat’s product roadmap based on direct interactions with customers
- Position Karat as a thought leader on engineering hiring with CXOs, leveraging our unique cross-industry dataset
- Cultivate our network of Interview Engineers to make each individual an effective brand ambassador
- Engage as a member of the company’s leadership team
Experience and Leadership Capability
Given the current and anticipated growth, the VP Marketing is a high visibility position for Karat both internally and externally. The mandate calls for a company builder, exceptional storyteller, and brand architect.
The VP Marketing must:
- Thrive in a fast-paced, high growth environment
- Have deep experience in building brands via communications or product marketing functions with a minimum of 15 years of work experience
- Understand the developer ecosystem and create messaging that appeals to this audience
- Understand marketing for high ACV enterprise solutions
Be accountable for KPIs measuring brand awareness, Interview Engineer community development, pipeline, and revenue